Warwick third in Britain

The University of Warwick has climbed to third place overall in [this year’s Guardian University League Table](http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2010/jun/04/university-league-table), up one place from last year’s table.

It ranked as the best university in the Midlands, with the top departments, according to the ranking, including Business and Management, American Studies, and Film Studies (the best in the country), Sociology (third in the UK), Mathematics and Economics (fourth in the UK).

Warwick trails Oxford and Cambridge with an overall score of 81.4 out of 100 and is followed by St. Andrews and UCL.

Commenting on the University’s achievement, Kelly Parkes-Harrison, Communications Officer, told the Boar: “We are delighted by the results of the Guardian league table and it is great to see we are just underneath Oxford and Cambridge; both are universities with a much longer history than ours. We are also very pleased to see that Warwick is the top university in the West Midlands.

“There are so many league tables out there that we are careful not to give too much credence to any particular table. However, in all of these tables we are always in the top ten UK universities and that is credit to the hard work of our students and staff,” she concluded.

Students are also proud of Warwick’s top position. Ollie Longworth, a third-year Philosophy student, said: “I think it’s great that we place higher than the big London universities and places such as Durham and St. Andrews.

“It’s really encouraging to know that I’m graduating from a university with such a good reputation and hopefully Warwick will continue to improve as the years go by.”

Sumaiya Khaku, Education Officer for the Students’ Union, also commented on the achievement: “It’s a great honour for Warwick to come third, and it shows that the University, and the SU, is on the right track when it comes to student satisfaction.

“However, there is still so much that can, and should, be done especially in the area of feedback on assessment.”

Warwick aims to reach the top fifty universities in the world by 2015; in this year’s QS World Rankings the University ranked 58th.