Two attacks in one week — in broad daylight

Two assaults on female students took place on campus during the first week of term, continuing a campus-wide series of attacks that have occurred this year.

The two latest assaults were perpetrated by a male suspect who fled on a bicycle. Both occurred on busy paths during daylight hours – the first on the footpath connecting campus to Cannon Park shopping centre, and the second on the footpath to Gibbet Hill campus. Following the second incident, the suspect was reportedly followed by a witness and apprehended by authorities.

Police have told the University that a 17-year-old youth has been arrested and charged with offences connected to both incidents.

The University and Students’ Union encouraged students to use well-lit and well-travelled paths and to not walk alone on campus after dark.

The University’s warnings follow a serious sexual assault on a student on 27th February on the path next to University House. It is believed that the incidents during week one are not connected to last term’s attack, for which police are still seeking witnesses.

Any suspicious behaviour on campus should be reported to the Security Gatehouse on 02476 522083 or 22083 on an internal phone.