Sevens heaven for 15 Stoners

Last week saw the return of UWRFC’s annual rugby sevens tournament, kindly sponsored by KPMG. For once the English weather did not disappoint and Wednesday afternoon saw 14 teams, plus two more rather unusual ones, compete for the coveted title of University of Warwick Internal Sevens champions. Having run for a number of years, the success of the tournament has seen the event grow from strength to strength and with over 150 players competing, it is a highlight in the Warwick sporting calendar.

Players from a range of clubs, societies and faculties formed teams to compete alongside and against many members of the University’s successful rugby club and with the barbecue in full swing, much to the delight of many of the larger members of the 15 Stoners’ team, the first pool matches could begin.

All teams were arranged into four pools, with the top two teams progressing onto the Cup and Plate competitions. In the early games, many of the outside teams struggled against strong rugby-based opposition, except for the surprise result in Pool 1 which saw the Fresh Pigs confidently beaten 19-5 by a hard hitting lacrosse team. Upsetting the form book, and denying the Fresh Pigs a place in the Plate competition, the physicality of Peter Parker and pace of Johnny Durex was too much for the young team to cope with.

Despite strong performances across the board, the semi-final teams were largely made up of players from the UWRFC. The first saw the heavily favoured ‘Bulldogs’ crash out of the competition at the hands of the Kimmassol Crew. With both teams exhibiting a high level of skill, physicality, and committed defence, the scores were level at 19-19 on the final whistle. However, in extra time a labouring James Sellick stretched to intercept an errant pass and the Kimmassol Crew ran out unexpected winners 26-19.

The second semi-final was also a tough battle between the 15 Stoners and a depleted Mathletes team, led by next year’s 1st XV captain George Milligan. A textbook ‘grass ball’ and brilliant individual try from Chris Brember clinched victory for the 15 Stoners in a close game, which saw the Mathletes and in particular Olly Taylor in form.

{{ quote Eager to prove themselves, both teams threw themselves into a competitive and, for spectators, highly entertaining match }}

But before the teams recovered to play in the final, the stage was set for arguably the most popular match of the tournament, which saw the University’s netball and hockey teams compete for the first time. Eager to prove themselves, both teams threw themselves into a competitive and, for spectators, highly entertaining match. Despite taking an early lead, UWNC trailed UWLHC going into the final minute, thanks to tries coming either side of half time, including an impressive solo effort from Sandip Samra. However, in the dying seconds, a last gasp try from UWNC, which saw Martha Pearson break from inside her own half and combine beautifully with Chelsea McClements, gave the netball club victory.

Returning to the men’s competition, the final saw the 15 Stoners and Kimmassol Crew compete for the trophy and despite tired legs the game provided a fitting finale to a successful day’s competition. Utilising the talent of sevens players Scott Craimer and Alex Truscott, the 15 Stoners scored following an impressive passage of play which was eventually finished by Mark Arrowmyth, and were able to edge out the flagging Kimmassol Crew. The win left Joe Tompkins to lift the trophy and cap off a successful season as UWRFC 1st XV captain, which saw his side promoted into the premiership. However, it was ex-UWMFC Club Captain, Robbie Price, in the absence of the university football club, who was deservedly awarded player of the tournament, having played a crucial role in his team’s success in the Plate final.

The tournament was once again a great success. Not only did all those who played relish the competitive but relaxed atmosphere and supporters derive great enjoyment from all matches, but the event showed that UWRFC can be true ambassadors for sport at the University of Warwick.