Ash delays hit students

Severe travel disruptions caused by closed airspace due to volcanic ash have left many students — particularly those who live overseas — unable to return to the University in time for the start of term.

The University issued a warning to students and staff who may find returning to campus within the next week difficult. Students affected need to fill out an online form to notify their department of their absence and have been recommended to pay close attention to their department’s website.

Students taking examinations in the first week of term are urged to notify their department as soon as possible if they expect they will not be able to sit any assessments.

The University’s website states: “the student will be required to put the circumstances in writing … and the board of examiners will then consider the individual case before deciding on the appropriate action.”

A first year student living in Cyprus told the Boar her story: “My flight was originally scheduled for Wednesday at 13:10. This was all I knew until Tuesday afternoon, when the status of the flight changed from ‘scheduled’ to ‘cancelled’.”

Finalist Dana Andreicut gave similar sentiments: “It was annoying to see how much uncertainty there was about flights, and even after a few airlines carried out test flights and saw that it was safe to fly, they still weren’t given permission to do so. I decided to go for the safer option and take a bus back to the UK.”

Second year Claudia Dahinten said, “I was supposed to fly back to England on Sunday, but due to the volcanic circumstances, my flight was cancelled and I rescheduled my flight to Tuesday. Then on Monday, I received news that the conditions had worsened and there was no chance that I was going to fly the next day.

“Luckily the planes started flying again, and I was able to get to the UK on Thursday.”

Although air traffic restrictions have been lifted, it is expected to take more than a week to until normal airline activity is in place again.