Union saves money on posters with new screens

A range of new plasma televisions have been installed in the Students’ Union in the past couple weeks, enabling societies, clubs and student events to advertise events, initiatives and themselves throughout the Union.

From Friday 12th March, the screens have been available for promotional requests, giving societies and students the opportunity to publicise their events.

The new screens and digital advertising boards, fitted in the Atrium, come as a direct result of student feedback the Union received since the new building opened, particularly in the recent Big 5 Survey.

The screens are accompanied by an online video channel, which has already been used during the SU elections. They also offer students the opportunity to watch sports or catch up on the headlines.

Andrew Bradley, the Students’ Union President, said “I think it’s a fantastic solution to all of our concerns – bringing the Atrium, which many people have said they find bare, to life! I hope to see Warwick TV footage again played in the Union.”

He also highlighted the environmentally friendly nature of the new screens, “given the sheer amount of unread and unused paper fliers printed off every day of term.”

The new screens replace the original initiative of using traditional poster boards, which used to cost the Union around £28,000 a year in print cost.

With the new televisions, the Union pays a monthly rental cost that is covered by external revenue generated through advertising sales.

“We waste less paper and spend less on print, while also increasing our revenue,” said Jackie Smyth, the Union’s Marketing Manager.

“And it means we have a few extra screens to show the football on, which can’t be a bad thing with the World Cup on its way.”

Michaela Bruntraeger, a first year Biomedical Science student, commented on the effectiveness of the new televisions, saying “the scheme is a good idea because it allows societies to get noticed without causing too much wasted paper.”

“With all the events, including the market, going on in the Atrium, I hope that the Archery Club can promote itself on the screens successfully,” she added.

Other students, however, have criticised the new screens in the Union, with many questioning the efficiency of the project.

“I think the screens will become a futile development,” said Mike Nash, an Economics student. “They only advertise to people who enter the Atrium, and at the moment, I don’t know many people who actually use the space regularly”.

Victor Bill, a first year English Literature student, also disapproved of the new televisions, saying “although the new screens should reduce paper waste, they will ultimately increase the Union’s electricity usage, which is still harmful to the environment”.