Bare your bra for spring

Every once in a while a trend emerges that causes a stir amongst the fashion conscious, and may have you asking… wait, what? Followed by, so how does that work? From those of you yet-to-be convinced. A trend that is as quirky as it is cool and one that turns all conventions of the fashion bible on their head. Welcome to the inside-out trend du jour; underwear as outerwear. Nope, we’re not kidding. It does seems natural, however, that after a winter of clinging on to chunky knits and just about as many layers as a girl can take, we would choose to shed our winter coats in favour of something sexy and unusual, but oh so seductive.

I know what you’re thinking, has the fashion world gone mad? Think again; with a little applied knowledge and a few key pieces, we’re sure that this trend is as wearable as, say, Ugg Boots. And everybody loves Ugg Boots, don’t they? So if you’re planning on disregarding this one as exclusively for those off-the-wall fashion types, to which Lady Gaga and Madonna spring to mind, then you’ll be missing out on the seriously chic and did I mention, seductive? So here you have it, your quick-fire guide about how to wear it and wear it well.

Playing it safe. Edging on the side of caution. We’re all for it, in fact. Alexa Chung does it so well, not forgetting Mischa Barton, two style icons hailed for their less-than-daring fashion sense. So, for those of us who prefer not to have to explain the ‘concept’ of our outfit to bemused friends, then lace is an excellent way to tap into the trend. From lace-trim camisoles to lace vests, lace bodies, lace prints…we could go on. Yes, it might be everywhere this season, but we just can’t get enough.

For those in search of more of a statement outfit, rest assured, we’ve only just touched the surface. Try layering a corset top under a long cardigan, a look that hints at provocative without being too revealing, and gives a nod of the head to casual day wear, whilst also flattering the female form. The tight fit of a bodice also contrasts particularly well with high waisted trousers which flair out at the legs. So say hello high street: you’ll be glad to hear that this look is not only hugely flattering, but is also widely attainable with the revival of harem pants and other interesting shapes on the high street. Giving truth to the notion that high fashion is not always at a high price. Turned heads, we think so. Style points gained, most definitely.

The look also moves into the somewhat more daring, with a number of designers opting for sheer silk (a girl can dream) and thin mesh tops and shirts which expose the underwear underneath. Paired with a high waisted bodycon skirt, this is a more grown up take on sexy. What’s more, it can easily be toned down by opting for a bandeau bra; thereby creating a look that is not only on trend, but equally wearable and won’t have you feeling too self-conscious. Soft, sensual and delicate; the material itself is reminiscent of that of lingerie. So girls, it’s safe to say, that as scary as it may sound, the underwear as outerwear trend isn’t necessarily about overexposure. Phew.

But hey, if you’ve got it, why not flaunt it, right? Taking cue from a number of fashion forward celebs such as Lily Allen, who recently teamed stockings with a mini dresses. But do tread carefully, it is a bold look. One that needs to be softened, perhaps, with bright prints to ensure that the look falls on the right side of fun. And what could be more fun than experimenting with your own personal style. And yet, a tamer but no less fashionable version would be wear knee or thigh high socks as opposed to stockings. Double phew.

So there you have it, a tricky trend made easy. Whether pushing the boundaries or keeping it cute, the underwear as outwear is trend edgy, affordable and devastatingly sexy, but remember, a few key pieces is all you need, it’s still awfully cold out there!