SU attempts to harmonise South Leamington

A student community representatives scheme has been launched this month by the Students’ Union which aims to create better relationships between Warwick University students and the community in South Leamington.

The scheme’s purpose is to provide an opportunity for communication between residents on important issues such as rubbish, recycling collection and crime and personal safety. The representatives also have the objective to promote the good work of the many students (such as volunteering) in the area at neighbourhood and community meetings.

The principle aim is to provide an effective support group for both the students and the non-student community in terms of security, housing and the environment. They will work as liaisons between the two groups with the hope of dispelling any negativity that currently exists.

Sami Wannell, Students’ Union Welfare Officer, is heading up this new scheme: “The town’s vibe and atmosphere makes Leamington a popular choice for Warwick University students year on year. The student-led Community Representatives scheme is a really important step forward to better integrate the student and non-student communities. Students want to take an active part in their new neighbourhoods, and this scheme will be a good opportunity for them to do their bit and give something back.”

The five representatives have been chosen for their dedicated attitude towards helping the community and for their love of Leamington Spa. They are all volunteers who have been fully trained for their new positions of responsibility.

Within the South Leamington area there is an extensive student population and in the Brunswick and Willes areas about 26% of the residents are students which shows just how popular the area is. This popularity is mainly due to the convenient bus routes to the University and the pleasant surroundings.

Rebecca Rosenberg, a student currently living in the area said “South Leamington is a great place to live; it’s location in terms of the university and the town centre is fantastic and it’s a very friendly area.

“Any scheme that will improve the relationship amongst the residents will definitely be appreciated here and resolving issues like rubbish, security and communication is of key importance in ensuring everyone’s happiness, safety and pride in the neighbourhood.“

The Student Community Representatives scheme is a part of Warwick Student Union’s comprehensive community strategy, which aims to further develop the work done between university students and the local community.