Attempted beer burglary at Arts Centre EAT restaurant

Two men caught trying to steal beer from EAT restaurant at the Arts Centre have been charged with burglary and assault.

On the night of 17th January 2010, the Arts Centre security team were alerted to a break-in when the alarm system detected the illegal intrusion. Upon responding to the alarm at 11.15pm, the team found two men in the restaurant attempting to fill a bin liner with beer bottles. Following a short altercation, during which one of the security guards sustained a head injury, the intruders took flight into the wooded area surrounding Warwick campus.

The West Midlands police were informed and officers promptly arrived on the scene to arrest the would-be burglars. Once the area was surrounded, trained police dogs were sent into the woods to find the suspects. Both men were apprehended and charged.

Alan Rivett, Director of the Arts Centre, released a statement to Warwick Insite, saying: “It looks to me like our fantastic security team caught some thieves red-handed. As a result, nothing was lost and the alleged burglars will have to justify their actions to the law. Once again, great work from our security team!”

Peter Dunn, Warwick’s Head of Communications, also commended the actions of the security guards on duty, telling the Boar that “both officers showed a great deal of personal bravery in dealing with this incident and the quick reactions of all the security team enabled the police to make two arrests.”

Despite having been hit on the head with a bottle, the security officer who was attacked by one of the intruders was able to return to work on his next shift.