Travel Coventry freezes fares

National Express Coventry have frozen their bus fares, putting an end to the annual price increase at the beginning of each year.

The Coventry Daysaver ticket remains at £2.90, while a Weekly Travel Card will stay at £10. A maximum single costs £1.50.

The decision comes following the area’s struggle with recession, with the West Midlands having the highest level of unemployment in the country.

It is hoped that the price freeze will encourage motorists to use public transport, with the region also trying to significantly reduce its carbon footprint.

The move will affect a large proportion of second and third year students living off-campus in Coventry. The majority of these people travel to lectures by bus, especially following the university’s decision to remove all free parking on campus.

One second year French student living in the Earlsdon area said “I’m really pleased. Being a student is expensive enough as it is and I don’t want to be paying more each year for what I consider to be a necessity”.

A first year English student commented “I regularly go in to Coventry on the weekend, so it’s reassuring to know that the prices won’t increase”.

National Express Coventry’s announcement comes following Stagecoach’s decision to provide more early morning buses to the university from the Leamington area, affecting the large number of Warwick students who reside there.

A spokesperson for Stagecoach revealed that although at the present time “no changes” were planned for a price increase he did suggest that there would be a rise “later in the year” but would give no further information. He stated that Stagecoach were still in the process of deciding.

Last year, the Student’s Union launched their “Taken for a Ride” campaign following a continual price increase from Stagecoach and Travel Coventry.

The SU described Nation Express Coventry’s move as “another victory” for them after months of challenging the bus companies over bus prices and service levels.

They had been in discussions with Stagecoach over their Unirider service before the company had agreed to increase the number of buses.

The Students’ Union’s Communication Officer, Isaac Newton Acquah, described National Express Coventry’s price freeze as “a good thing”, adding that “anything that saves money for the students is positive”.