New working group to tackle religious extremism

A working group of university leaders will be set up in order to prevent extremism at universities.

Malcolm Grant, the University College London provost, will head the groups, which will include university vice-chancellors and other academics.

Their aim is to achieve a balance between allowing academic freedom of speech whilst preventing violent extremism.

The Minister for Higher Education, David Lammy said, “It is essential that we remain vigilant and we will continue to work with institutions and the wider community to ensure they are aware of the methods used by extremists so that young people and the vulnerable at risk of being exploited and recruited into criminal activity do not succumb to this threat.”

The arrest of Umar Farouk Abdulmatallab, who was accused of an attempted terrorist attack on a flight to Detroit on Christmas day, has brought this issue to attention.

Abdulmatallab attended UCL from 2005 until 2008 and studied engineering and business finance.

There is speculation on whether his radicalisation is a result of his time at university.

Grant has denied these claims and said, there is a “narrow line” between security of students and allowing them freedom of opinion.

On the subject of controlling violent extremism at Warwick, Press Officer Peter Dunn commented that he is “not aware of any incidences of violent extremism at Warwick”.

A second year business student agreed, “I don’t think we have this problem at Warwick and hopefully the university leaders will look out for signs of extremist views to prevent it in the future”.

The working group will also consider measures to prevent extremism such as controlling views of outside speakers before allowing them on campuses.

Universities have the right to stop illegal speeches, such as speeches containing racist opinions.

However, universities find it harder to judge whether legal but offensive speakers should be allowed on campus.

The group will further discuss how to monitor these events, which could be problematic, especially since student meetings can include only small numbers of students.

University lecturers have previously been asked to help monitor extremism by observing students that cause concern.

Now, questions are arising about whether it is acceptable to ask lecturers to involve themselves with student groups holding extreme views or students who have been visiting the websites of extremist groups.

The UCU lecturers’ union has deemed this as spying on students and unacceptable.

Dunn said that the university achieves a balance between freedom of speech and student security as well as monitoring extremism “by the application of common sense”.