Conservatives propose bonds for international students

The Conservatives have released plans to make international students pay an extra £2,000 per year to study at UK universities.

Student visas, the “Achilles’ heel” of the immigration system, according to borders minister Phil Woolas, will not be extended unless the student enrols in further education in the UK.

Sumaiya Khaku, the education officer at Warwick’s Students Union said that it will create extra barriers for those wishing to study in Britain, even though the bond will be returned upon the student’s departure from the UK.

“The rationale for the proposals is to prevent students staying longer in the country and settling here”, she said.

Melanie Scharpf, a third year international student at Warwick, said, “International students are already paying too much for college and university education in Britain, so this proposal will increase their financial burden.

“The bond proposal will dissuade students from going to university in the UK,” she added.

Catherine Marston of Universities UK has voiced a similar concern: “International students do not come automatically to the UK.

“Our universities work hard to attract them so it’s vital we send out the message that we welcome them,”

Hundreds of false colleges have been found in London, Manchester and Bradford through an investigation carried out by the Times.

Such establishments have been providing cover for thousands of people without the right to work in the UK, claiming to be students.

“Abuse of the student visa system is not fair on genuine students, or on British taxpayers – and it has created a security loophole that must be closed,” said Chris Grayling, the Shadow Home Secretary.

This reflects the Conservatives’ claim that the student visa loophole is dangerous to British national security.

It appears to be in line with the phrase “We can’t go on like this” adopted by the Conservative election campaign.

Warwick University has stated that this proposal does not affect international students studying at university.

However, this proposal could have indirect effects on future international students.

The number of student visas issued by the Home Office has tripled to 236,470 since the Labour government took office in 1997.

The Conservative party is has said they will create 10,000 new university spaces at British Universities.

Over 13,000 student visa applicants from Afghanistan and Pakistan have not been fraud-checked since October 2008, according to the Guardian.