Masculinity societies spark controversy

Male students at some of Britain’s leading universities, including Oxford and Manchester, received widespread criticism last week for establishing so-called “men’s societies” aimed at celebrating and discussing the concept of masculinity.

Oxford University’s student union vice-president for women Kat Wall, speaking to the Guardian, accused Man Collective – Oxford (MC-O) of “gender stereotyping” after they asked students “Have you got balls? Literally. If you have, how does that make you feel?” Alex Linsley, founder of MC-O claimed he set up the society as a forum for men to discuss the problems facing men in today’s society and how they should lead “significant lives” – reports Oxford University’s Cherwell newspaper.

Manchester University’s MENS society – Masculinity Exploring Network and Support – argue they help to raise awareness of mental health issues as well as prostate and testicular cancer. According to youthhealthtalk.org “depression is believed to affect as many men as women, though women are twice as likely to be diagnosed and treated”.

But detractors of organizations such as MC-O and MENS argue they are simply a front for drinking games and macho activities. The societies came under further criticism from feminist groups for undermining the ability of women to speak out against inequality. Olivia Bailey, NUS national women’s officer, was also quoted in the Guardian as saying “Discrimination against men on the basis of gender is so unusual as to be non-existent, so what exactly will a men’s society do?” She added that “to suggest that men need a specific space to be ‘men’ is ludicrous; when everywhere you turn you will find male-dominated spaces.”

Chris Jones, a third year undergraduate at Oxford, told the Boar “There is a feeling that somehow ‘equality groups’ actually seek dominance” and “none of this will stop men forming drinking societies”. Currently there is no such society at Warwick with the express purpose of “exploring masculinity”. Although Georgina Aldridge – a first year English Literature student – argued that societies like MC-O and MENS “basically widen the gap between males and females on campus by encouraging men to go to the extremes of masculinity, which is obviously going to alienate women and does sort of undermine any equality groups.” However, first year History student Alex Troop disagreed: “Having a male society does not detract from the legitimacy of feminist societies,” and Pete Beckett, a fourth year Physics student, said, “There probably aren’t enough organizations that help men talk about health problems.” Student interest in MC-O and Manchester’s MENS society, whose 306 members also include women, would appear to show no signs of slowing down.