Warwick grad to advise fees panel

Warwick University graduate Rajay Naik is set to sit on the panel of the Independent Review of Higher Education Funding and Student Finance.

The Government body will appraise the situation concerning fees and funding for University places across England and Wales.

The review will discuss whether to increase tuition fees, seek contributions from employers, and assess appropriate levels of student support. The panel is expected to publish its report on Higher Education funding at some point next year.

Naik, 22, studied politics at Warwick before becoming Chairman of the Coventry Youth Council and the youngest member of the Learning and Skills Council in the country. He was appointed a member of the Big Lottery Fund in February 2009, is a trustee of the British Youth Council and also serves as a College Governor at City College, Coventry.

Speaking to the Coventry Evening Telegraph, he said that he was “delighted” to be involved, explaining that “the issues of future funding of the country’s higher education sector and student finance are of huge importance.”

The independent review, which will be led by Lord Browne of Madingley, was launched on 9 November by Universities Secretary Lord Mandelson. Lord Mandelson explained, “Lord Browne and his team will examine the balance of contributions to universities by taxpayers, students, graduates and employers.”

The panel will also consist of the former head of the Higher Education Funding Council for England and vice-Chancellor of Birmingham University, David Eastwood, vice-Chancellor of Aston University, Julia King, the head of McKinsey’s Global Education Practice, Michael Barber, Diane Coyle of the consultancy Enlightenment Economics and chief executive of Standard Chartered bank, Peter Sands.