Volunteers pay respects to veterans

Sunday 8th of November may seem a distant memory to many Warwick students. However, this date marked Remembrance Sunday and Warwick Volunteers certainly remembered to pay their respects.

On Monday 9th November, a “Poppy Party” was held in the Sydni Centre in Sydenham. The event was held for sixty elderly residents who live in the surrounding area and was run by the Warwick Volunteers to commemorate Remembrance Day. The day was led by Chrissy Vassiliou, a Warwick third year law and business student. She and her team worked to co-ordinate the preparation of decorations, the events schedule and prizes and gifts for the elderly. Prizes included two cinema tickets, donted by the Leamington Spa Apollo cinema and a selection of books given by the University bookshop. had donated two free cinema tickets as prizes, whilst the Warwick bookshop donated a selection of texts.

The event began with Vince Watson, member of the Royal Leamington Spa British Legion, leading a minute’s silence before the assembled guests.

Watson congratulated Warwick Volunteers for “performing such a good service to the residents of Sydenham.” He went on to say; “I commend the students themselves for understanding how much this day means to the people who have lost loved ones in the Wars. It makes me very happy to know Warwick students are willing to show compassion to those so frequently forgotten.”

The Poppy Party then continued with a lunch, followed by a raffle, quiz, ballroom dancing lessons, poetry recitals and, finally, the singing of songs from the second world war. Warwick Volunteer and fourth year French and Italian student, Rebecca Spencer, said “The day was a huge success. We are all tired, having worked really hard, but it is worth it when you see how happy it has made all the guests.”

One guest and Second World War veteran, Tim, spoke to the Boar and emphasised his gratitude to Warwick Volunteers. When asked what he was most looking forward to he replied, “well the dancing obviously, but being in a wheelchair makes that somewhat more difficult.”

Tim lost the use of both his legs during battle and claimed that events such as the Poppy Party were “vital” for people like him who like to celebrate the lives of comrades who “lost a lot more than a couple of legs.”

Warwick Volunteers were not the only ones to remember such an historically significant day. Residents of Leamington Spa, including many Warwick students, gathered at 10.50am outside the War Memorial at Euston Place, to remember fallen soldiers.

The main high street had been closed off allowing the Order of Service to begin with a procession of the local cadet squadrons and relatives of deceased war veterans. This was followed by a series of prayers and hymns, as well as a speech by the Mayor.

During the two minute silence, Leamington Spa stood still. Numerous members of the congregation wept as the wreaths were laid, and people of all generations sang heartily the National Anthem.

One emotional spectator explained why such an event was important to her: “My son is out there right now defending this country. Everybody should remember that the people fighting are separate from politics, they are just selfless individuals who deserve recognition.”

Second year engineering student James Watt also attended the service with his housemates. He further emphasised the importance of remembering the fallen. “We owe it to the past generations to keep the memory alive. I attend a service each year and believe everybody should appreciate the sacrifices which were made on our behalf.”

In recognition of Rememberance day, the University Library held a minute’s silence at 11am; and students around campus were encouraged to recognise the day by contributing to the Poppy Appeal by purchasing and wearing a poppy.

Overall the “Poppy Party” event was a success, and numerous Warwick students certainly gave Remembrance Day the respect many feel it deserves. After the “Poppy Party”, Chrissy Vassiliou said, “It is such a worthwhile cause and I was really happy to be project leader of such a fantastic Warwick supported event.”