Students in row at restaurant

A group of Warwick students was involved in a row with staff at a Leamington restaurant.

The incident occurred at Chico’s, a Mexican-style restaurant on Oxford Street, on 11 November at around 10:30pm.

According to the students, a member of the restaurant staff told them that the restaurant’s credit card machine was broken and that they would have to withdraw cash to pay for their meal. The students then asked for a discount as compensation for the inconvenience of having to walk through rain to a cash machine.

The students said the waiter refused and instead accused them of “acting smart”. They said the argument then escalated, and culminated in the waiter swearing at them and pushing one student into a corner. The students then phoned for police, who attended the incident but did not make any arrests.

A Warwickshire Police spokesperson told the Boar, “This incident appears to have arisen out of a a problem with payment on a customer’s credit card. The police did attend, however on arrival they were told a verbal altercation had taken place. No complaint of assault or other complaint was made to the police and no further action was taken.”

The restaurant refused to comment on the incident.