Hunt for houses starts early

Record numbers of students are already looking for and reserving houses for the next academic year. This is a result of the surprise move by letting agents throughout Leamington and Coventry to release their student housing lists up to two months earlier than in previous years.

Many houses have already been reserved for 2010/11. Belvoir in Leamington Spa have released their full list of student properties, and claim twelve of their properties have deposits already put down. The twelve properties are clustered around the sought-after Clarendon Place in North Leamington and George Street in the Old Town.

Gwilym Lawrence is just one of many undergraduates who “already [has] a fair idea who to live with next year”, and despite not looking for houses yet claims to be “a little concerned about how early nice agents expect “a sudden rush towards the end of November, as not many people on campus know the lists have already come out.”

Estate agents claim it is the “demand from landlords and other agents” that force the lists to be published much earlier for Warwick students than for those at other universities.

Lawrence continues, “Friends of mine at other universities weren’t even thinking about housing until February or March time”, but many Warwick students become forced to look considerably earlier”. Signing leases so early often causes problems as a result of changes in friendship groups.

Leamington’s Heritage Estate Agents say students are coming in “a lot earlier this year than they ever have before”, suggesting that it is the “four, five and six bedroom houses that seem to be going the fastest”, with a considerable interest for properties owned by Leamington property tycoon Dr. Singh.

Estate agents suggest the popularity of Dr. Singh’s properties is from “lots of word of mouth” on campus. People are “coming in [to the estate agents] and letting their friends know” that the best houses are already going, according to Belvoir.

However, approximately half of the estate agents supplying student homes to Warwick students are yet to publish their lists. Many claim “it felt a lot busier last year”, but letting agents expect “a sudden rush towards the end of November, as not many people on campus know the lists have already come out.”

Lawrence suggests that “part of the problem is that too many people don’t consider Coventry as a serious option for off campus accommodation”. Earlsdon has many benefits but he claims “the only problem is that the vast majority of students go to Leamington, making it the more sociable place to live. Perhaps if the university/union did more to promote Coventry to first years, the early rush for houses would be eased”.

The Union currently encourages students to make “more informed decisions about housing”. Their advice is: “Don’t part with any money, and don’t sign a contract, until at least after Christmas”.

This early surge in interest comes at a time of increased speculation amongst first and second year students that the supply of student housing is not enough to reach demand.

Sami Wannell, the Students’ Union Welfare Officer, states: “The houses won’t run out – this is a rumour that gets started every year, and it’s entirely unfounded. You’ll just have to trust me – remember, I’ve done this before!”

It is recommended that students wait until after the Christmas holidays for the SU’s Housing Guide to be published in order to make informed decisions.