University axes CTCCS

The University has decided to close the Centre for Translation and Comparative Cultural Studies (CTCCS), following a review process that was completed last June.

The centre’s 31 PhD students will be transferred to other departments for the remainder of their course, and two of the CTCCS’s degree programmes will continue under the administration of other departments. Three staff members of the CTCCS face redundancy as a result of the centre’s closure.

The website for the CTCCS says, “From 1 October 2009 the MA in Translation Studies will be administered by the Department of English and Comparative Literary Studies whilst the MA in Translation, Writing and Cultural Difference continues to be administered by the Department of German.”

The CTCCS was the focus of controversy during the last term of the 2008-2009 academic year, with several students speaking out against the centre’s closure. At the time, they expressed concerns about having to switch supervisors and the relevance of their degree being diminished if the centre were to close. However, students declined to speak to the Boar now that the centre has closed, preferring to focus on their transition to new departments.

The Students’ Union took a neutral position on the Centre’s closure, saying only that “as an SU representing students, we are very sad to see a department close.” The Union also will be working to support the centre’s students. “The SU will continue to lobby the Graduate School to make sure that every thing is being done to make sure that the students concerned make a smooth transition, having as much access to support as they did when CTCCS existed,” says Sumaiya Khaku, Students’ Union Education Officer.

The reasons for the closure remain unclear. The University’s Press Officer, Peter Dunn, stated that the centre closed “as it was no longer viable as a separate centre,” but did not elaborate further. However, Khaku says that the Centre’s failure to secure funding from the most recent Research Assessment Exercise was a contributing factor.

One student, who wished to remain anonymous, cast doubt on the future of the MA Translation Studies degree, though according to Dunn, the programme has accepted new students for this academic year and is included in next year’s prospectus. No information was available about whether it will continue after the 2010-2011 academic year.