Applications up by three percent

The 2009 university admissions round has been the fastest in history according to figures released by UCAS.

The recession played a major part in these events. With the economic downturn in progress, it appears that school leavers were more tempted by the academic environment than by the world of work, with the unemployment rate still remaining high. An overall ten percent increase in usual applications, and a twenty percent increase in applications from students older than 25 was recorded.

At Warwick, which this year was ranked sixth in the Times Higher Education top 100, applications were up three percent. Out of the 32,000 applicants, only 14,000 were offered a place. There are currently no places available through clearing, as the few ones that were still available after the initial admissions round were filled in a matter of hours. Some of the most popular courses this year were Mathematics, Economics, Business, Law, English and History.

University places have been almost completely filled this autumn, with more than 100,000 students likely to miss out on their university education. The total number of applications recorded this year added up to 632,132. UCAS reported that 46,679 places were filled through Clearing, a service available between July and September, but used mostly after exam results are published in August.

Compared to 2008, a 22 percent increase in applicants hoping to obtain a place through Clearing was recorded. These however, “are not the final figures for 2009 entry”, Darren Barker, corporate communications officer for UCAS, told the Boar. Final figures will be released later this month.

“For those who didn’t get a place at a university or college this year, they may use the year ahead to go on a gap year, perhaps travelling or doing voluntary work at home or abroad.”

“These would both be ideal things to put on their application form if they decide to reapply next year,” he added.

UCAS also introduced a new service this year, entitled Adjustment. The latter allows applicants who have exceeded the conditions of their firm choice to reconsider where and what to study. 386 applicants have taken advantage of the new scheme.

Fiona Kent, careers consultant at the Warwick Careers Service, recommends students invest their energy in their personal and professional development.

“With applications for masters courses going up this year, 2009/10, Student Careers and Skills are encouraging those students who decide to pursue postgraduate study to make the most of the activities available to them at the University and to attend careers events and employer presentations to network and find out about employment opportunities in the future.”