Students missing out on grants

A report published by the Office for Fair Access (Offa) on 26 March revealed that almost one in ten students eligible for university bursaries are failing to claim the cash.

Offa, set up by Labour in an attempt to boost the number of students from lower-income backgrounds going to university, found that the cause of this problem was often the fact that “some students or sponsors failed to tick the appropriate box” on their student loan application form. The latter would have enabled the university to obtain information about the students’ household income.

Beginning in 2006, when the higher education system started charging up to £3,000 in annual tuition fees, it was required that it spend a proportion of the extra earnings on bursaries aimed at students from deprived backgrounds.

The report revealed that universities spent £219 million on bursaries in the academic year 2007/2008, out of which £192 million went to students from the poorest homes. It further showed that 6,500 students who were eligible for the grants failed to claim them.

The amount spent on bursaries also varied considerably between universities. While Edge Hill College, Lancashire, used almost 50 per cent spent of the extra money on bursaries, less than ten per cent was spent by Middlesex University.

“Warwick University is committed to spending 25 per cent of its additional fee income from UG Home fees on bursaries and scholarships,” Kelly Parkes-Harrison, Warwick Communications Officer, told the Boar. During the 2008-2009 academic year, the university not only achieved its target, but it also “spent a little bit more” on grants and bursaries, she added.

Students at Warwick are eligible for the “Access to Learning Fund”, which provides selective help to undergraduate students who have serious financial difficulties. It covers costs of accommodation, child care, transport, books and utilities. The university also awards up to 20 scholarships of £2,000 to overseas fee paying students who have received an offer to study on an undergraduate degree.

Sir Martin Harris, director of Offa, told the Guardian that the amount spent on grants was down to each university, and that he was satisfied with the effort of each institution.

Wes Streeting, President of the NUS, however argued that, “Financial support should be based on how much a student needs it, not where they happen to be studying. We need a national bursary scheme, so that we can make sure that all of this money makes a real difference for poorer students.”