Delays hit SU rebuild

Despite previous guarantees from the Students’ Union, Term 3 started without the new Union building ready. The new club, The Copper Rooms, and on-campus pub, The Dirty Duck, will not be ready for the start of the summer term as promised as the £11 million project falls behind schedule.

Mike Pidgeon, SU Communications Officer, explained that the delay is due to a number of contributing factors including the snowfall last term, “unexpected complications resulting from the groundworks,” and the need to conduct health and safety tests. He explained that while the planning team had known about for these tests, the circumstances forced them to postpone them. He added that they did take “slightly longer than we anticipated” but did not go into detail.

“We are not entirely sure why this delay happened,” he admitted, promising that the SU is “certainly going to be reviewing this…[and] why it wasn’t known earlier.” The main focus is on the now, however, as the SU rushes to find new venues for the events planned in the beginning of Term 3.

The Dirty Duck opened on Monday, but is not currently serving food. The kitchen should be finished and for business in Week 2 or 3. The three storey club, The Copper Rooms, will be open 18 May.

The Union has taken steps to minimise the effect this delay will have on planned events. Top B is being temporarily relocated to The Assembly in Leamington Spa. The drink deals and entry will, however, remain the same. Score is taking over Wednesdays at Evolve.

Transportation will not be included in the price and is not being arranged as the costs would be too much. The SU has been in talks with Stagecoach, promises Pidgeon, to ensure that there are enough buses running. This has been a cause for concern for many of the students living on campus, particularly Freshers.

“We will be put under pressure to pay substantial amounts for buses and taxis,” voiced Laura Cassells, a first year Theatre and Performance Studies student. “[This] would not have been necessary if the new SU was open.” A trip to and from Leamington clubs usually costs around £7.

Students with tickets to any of the events which have been changed are able to exchange them for refunds or tickets to another event.

“We have done everything we can…to keep impact to a minimum,” said Pidgeon, adding that “the rebuild was badly needed.”

Clearly this will have negative consequences on Union finances. The SU was unable to comment beyond noting the delays will “have an effect on the Union’s financial position” and would not make the current deficit “any better.” Pidgeon said the SU is “currently undergoing a process of re-forecasting our budgets for this year” but that it is too soon to know the extent of the costs.

How the Union plans to recover these costs, and whether it will be in higher prices once the full Union is open next year remains to be see. It is a “long-term strategic decision” said Pidgeon, explaining it is too soon to say for certain. The aim is to “keep things affordable” he added.

He added that the University have been “incredibly supportive throughout.” It is a :project between the Union and the University…[we are] confident they are going to support us.” It was not explicit if this support would mean further loans.

The University granted the SU a loan last year and has a vested interest in seeing the rebuild become a success. Having what will be the largest and arguably one of the most modern students’ unions in the country would obviously help attract students to Warwick.

Pidgeon is quick to apologise to students, adding that the support and patience of the student body is “nothing short of amazing.”

“We are incredibly grateful to all our members for this understanding, and it is by no means taken for granted.” He did note that this may have changed after the recent announcement of further delays.

This most recent development has, however, affected the SU’s confidence in “declaring opening dates this early on.” While he is currently unsure how far-reaching these delays will be, Pidgeon is “confident” that the SU and their contractors will be able to “minimise many of the causes of the phase one delays in phase two.” The contractors are now aware to the issues arising from the “dodgy groundwork,” for example.

The announcement of significant delays was met with disappointment by many first years especially. While some students feel the reasons for the lateness were not wholly the responsibility of the Union they feel the Union must now work hard to compensate for these delays.

First year Emily Kaill said she would “feel extremely let down by the Union” if they do not cover or subsidise travel.

“There was a lot more they could have done to improve our freshers,” said Kaill. She added that had she known what the Union would be like this year she and many people she has spoken to would have taken gap years.

Many final years say they aren’t really affected by the delays, mainly because they have to spend their time in the Library in any case. Those living off campus were, in general, less concerned as due to the rebuild they have not gone out in the Union as often. Some were happy about the prospect of having Top B and Score close to home.

Some students have found an outlet in the Facebook group ‘SPECIAL EVENT WANTED for 2008 Freshers’ created by Cassells where they have been voicing concerns and disappointment at the delays. Some feel the Union should compensate the students with free events and transport while other think its just their bad luck.

Pidgeon will be hosting drop-in sessions with SU President Stuart Thomson this Thursday, 23 April, at 1pm and 5pm, to give students the chance to voice any questions or concerns.

Other disruptions include the relocation of the Pharmacy from inside Union South to a temporary location next to the Health Centre. The banks and hair salon will remain open in their current locations.

The Bread Oven has been moved to Meeting Rooms 2 and 3. The other Meeting Rooms are currently being used for storage and the SU is trying to secure other rooms for any societies needing the space.