Virtual safari a reality

A trip to Kenya’s Masai Mara while sitting at home is soon possible as a team of researchers from Warwick Manufacturing Group and the University of York work to create a virtual reality cocoon.

Unlike other virtual reality devices, this ‘virtual cocoon’ will integrate all five senses, making it a more life-like experience. This is the first attempt to include not just sight and hearing but touch, taste and smell.

Warwick Professor Alan Chalmers said, “Combining the use of all five senses will make the experience feel totally real – it will be unlike anything previously available.”

The team is currently devising how to incorporate smell into the experience. University of York Professor and lead scientist on this project David Howard explained, “Smell will be generated electronically via a new technique…which will deliver a pre-determined smell recipe on-demand.”

He went on to say that while smell and taste are related there will also be “a texture sensation” in the mouth of the user. Touch will be stimulated by various “tactile devices.”

This technology will assist training and education, helping to give new insight into the realities of ancient times by immersing users in ancient Egypt. It is expected to be ready within five years.

There have been issues raised about the safety of virtual reality and questions have been raised as to the ethics of this technology.

The device was presented to the public at Pioneers 09, a showcase for science and technology in London last week.