Warwick Lax move off campus for circle

Despite the closure of the TES, most of the University’s sports clubs will continue to hold their Wednesday night socials on campus.

Tempo is set to become the new home of “circle” for the majority of clubs who intend to stay loyal to the union.

It had been feared that the closure of the TES would spark a Wednesday night exodus from campus following the Lacrosse club’s decision to hold socials in Leamington Spa. However, this does not seem to be the case with its convenient location and reasonably priced drinks proving incentive enough for most clubs to stick with the Union.

There is a feeling amongst sports club members that during the rebuild the Union has succeeded in providing a suitable venue for clubs.

Indeed, Alistair Lamb, Social Secretary for the departing Lacrosse Club, believes that the Union have done “as well as they could”, indicating that it is with regret that the club have had to leave for more spacious surroundings and emphasising that this relocation would be on a temporary basis.

The issue of space has always been a problem for the Men’s Football club who felt even before its part-closure that the building was simply not big enough for a club of their size. UWMFC Match Secretary Louis Law said that the club would consider holding socials in the Union once the rebuild is complete, a move which would provide a timely boost for Union finances, but stressed that no decision had yet been made.

The financial implications of the departure of the TES, at least as far as “circle” is concerned, would not appear to be too serious although given the parlous state of Union finances, the Lacrosse club’s decision, one of Warwick’s largest, to hold social events in Leamington Spa could still cause concern for those in charge of the Union’s balance sheet. Communications Officer Mike Pidgeon was keen to extend his thanks to sports clubs for their commendable attitude throughout this challenging year, whilst recognising that there would be a “limited financial impact” for the Union.

Tempo provides for most clubs an adequate, if not ideal, location to hold their socials and the drinks offers put in place by the Union on a Wednesday make the venue a popular choice for those on a tight budget. Most feel that the union has coped well in these difficult times and there seems to be genuine excitement amongst club members surrounding the opening of the new facilities in Term Three.