Lecturers’ strike in summer term ‘a real threat’

Lecturers and University staff across the country could go on strike during the summer term if pay negotiations are not successful, potentially disrupting the exam period.

The University and College Union (UCU) is currently negotiating with the University and Colleges Employers Association (UCEA) for an eight per cent pay rise, or inflation (retail price index) plus five per cent, whichever is greater.

Negotiations, being facilitated by ACAS (Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service), end March 3, at which point the UCU will decide whether to ballot its members for industrial action.

Ken Flint, Chair of Warwick UCU and Director of Undergraduate Studies in the Biological Sciences Department of Warwick University, told the Boar, “UCU, the other campus unions and UCEA are entering negotiations about this year’s pay settlement. If UCEA wish to avoid any possibility of disruption then they should be prepared to make a realistic settlement of the pay claim from all campus unions.

“So far the only comments from UCEA have been suggesting a 0 per cent pay increase this year. If that remains their stance then industrial action from all campus unions, not just UCU, is more likely than not.”

The other Higher Education Unions involved in the negotiations at ACAS are EIS (Educational Institute of Scotland), GMB (a general union), Unison (a public sector union) and Unite (a manufacturing, technical and skilled persons’ union).

If all these Unions strike it would not only disrupt academic services but would also affect most services on campus, such as security, IT services, library services and food outlets.

Warwick University was unavailable for comment until the ACAS negotiations between the UCU and the UCEA come to an end.

In a document obtained by Times Higher Education, titled ‘Industrial Action Tactics’, the UCU appears to be continuing to prepare for a ballot its members on industrial action, despite the ongoing talks.

The document requests that local branches provide exam timetables, and pinpoints IT and library services in particular as targets for any potential action.

It argues that “flexible programmes”, rather than prolonged action, would cause the most disruption and employer discomfort, whilst also being financially viable for the trade union.

The SU and the National Union of Students (NUS) have both voiced concerns over the potential repercussions of such action for students.

The SU released a statement, saying “Warwick Students’ Union always has its students’ interests at heart and is concerned about the potential disruption to teaching and learning which such industrial action may cause.

“Warwick Students’ Union would therefore like to see the pay negotiations resolved swiftly without the need for industrial action so that it does not disrupt students’ learning.”

Mohammed Surve, the Education Officer for the SU, said, “It is too early to find out what a potential strike may have an impact upon. No ballot has been called as yet.”

He added, “The Union would work with relevant parties to minimise any disruption to students in the event of a strike or action short of a strike if it was to take place.” He also emphasised that the Union nevertheless wants Warwick lecturers to be paid well.

The NUS are also concerned about the potential fallout. The NUS met with the Trades Union Congress (TUC) and Unison, on separate occasions, to share its concerns about the implications.

In an update on the Higher Education Pay dispute, the NUS stated it was “pleased that dialogue is continuing and remains hopeful that there can be a settlement via negotiation.”

However, it also stated, “The potential for national industrial action by UCU later this term remains a real threat.”

All academic staff on campus are not necessarily represented by the UCU, with only around ten members in the entire Maths department.

Dr David Mond, a UCU-member Maths lecturer, said “If there were [a strike], I would probably go along with it, since I believe in the principles of collective action and collective response… But from my own position I see no need for industrial action.”

Students have been expressing fears that any industrial action would damage their academic work.

Sophie Shanahan, a second year Philosophy and Classics student, said “It’s putting the education of thousands of students at risk. It just seems so selfish.”

Constantine Scheller, a first year Philosophy and Psychology, “It’s a pretty scary prospective. It seems to make sense for the lecturers because they would have much more pressure, but for students it’s going to be difficult.”

The dispute between the UCU and UCEA is not just about the pay rise. They are also clashing over changes to the national negotiating committee, the Joint Negotiating Committee for Higher Education Staff (JNCHES).

The UCU says the changes undermine the positions of unions within the national bargaining system.

It wants the ability to hold separate negotiations with the UCEA without other unions present when the issue is solely related to academic staff.

It also disputes the timetable set for such negotiations as it eliminates the possibility of industrial action by ending in the summer holidays.

The UCU also want the UCEA to remove its opt-out clause, which would allow individual institutions to decide annually whether to honour the national pay agreement.

More information will become available in the coming weeks, as the discussions between UCEA, UCU and the other HE unions reach their climax.