Bottled water: clean and green?

Bottled water companies are coming under increasing pressure. Environmental concerns revolve around their product and as the public grows more aware of these issues, sales have fallen. The sector has responded by going on the offensive, launching the National Hydration Council to promote the ‘benefits’ of bottled water and trying to broaden its appeal. Some brands have been upping their corporate social responsibility activities. For example, Vittel promises that for every litre of water it sells ten litres will be secured for African communities.

Whatever benefits these schemes may have, it is right to question the motivations behind them. In 2005 Nestle launched Farmers’ Blend, a purportedly responsible brand of instant coffee. Rather than hailing it as a shift in corporate awareness, the World Development Movement stated that this is merely Nestle’s attempt to “cash in” on the growing ethical sector. Business logic suggests you should cater to the markets’ needs, and because human rights-awareness happens to be in vogue, it makes sense to create a product which promotes them. Indeed, in the bottled water market ‘ethical brands’ are defying the trend for decreasing sales. The sales volume of products such as Belu, Love One Water, Frank and Thirsty planet, who all donate their profits to improving sustainability or quality within water supplies in the developing world have doubled in the last two years.

It would be foolish to denounce the efforts of big corporate companies to become more ethical as inherently bad. The power of a brand such as Vittel is huge, with its wide global coverage and considerable sales. However, allegations that it is merely trying to ‘greenwash’ or ‘cash in’ should be taken seriously. It is right to question the commitment of such brands to a particular issue, how long-term that commitment is, and whether more money is spent on the marketing of this ‘ethical’ stance then is actually donated to the cause. Undoubtedly, good intentions exist at companies like Nestle and Vittel, but these motivations are mixed with commercial priorities.

Brands exist who are truly sincere in their commitment to promoting human rights and improving the lives of others. Bottled water companies such as Love One have as their raison d’etre the promotion of access to clean drink water for those who don’t have it. Love One Water uses all its profits to build Playpumps™, an innovative roundabout based pump system which places clean water at the centre of communities. The nature of the organisations commitment forces it to be transparent and accountable. After all, it is distinguishing itself purely on the basis that it promotes the right to water. They realise that it is better to not buy bottled water at all, and instead drink from the tap, but want to use the strength of the existing market and ask consumers to ‘swap’ to buying their product instead of others.

By buying such a product you can guarantee you are contributing to a long-term, sustainable and fundamental commitment to improve the lives of others. When purchasing ‘green-washed’ products you can never be as sure. Truly ‘ethical’ bottled waters give consumers the opportunity to make a difference around the world. Arguably, this opportunity is wasted when bottles of Vittel, Evian, Buxton and Highland Spring are bought.