Yoyo performer wins “W Factor”

Jackie Tsoi, ranked in the top 20 worldwide for yoyo performance, topped the judges’ leader board with a series of yoyo tricks and demonstrations of his skills.

He competed against seven other contestants to come away with the £300 first prize.

Suzi Power was second after performing “Falling” by Alicia Keys and Brian Richardson secured third place with his rendition of Kayne West’s “Stronger”.

Other contestants included Yixin Chang, Evangeline So, Jessica Geeson, Yili Yao and Brain Chan.

The judges were made up of representatives from the Piano Society, Music Theatre Warwick (MTW), Chamber Choir, Big Band, Latin and Ballroom Dance Society, Orchestra and Opera Warwick.

Tom Robbins, Vice President of the Piano Society explained that each contestant would receive a mark out of 5 for appearance, technique, content and originality.

He went on to claim that he was going to be “Simon Cowell about this”.

SU President, Stuart “Tommo” Thomson, handed out the prizes and started the night with a speech.

On the eve of Barack Obama’s inauguration, he stated that “during a week where the world looks on hoping for change, the “W Factor” provides Warwick with a rich, vibrant, colourful celebration of everything that is so great about our university”.

He went on to praise all contestants who competed in the hugely successful “W Factor”, to wish good luck to the performers on stage on Monday evening, and to congratulate the executive committee of the Chinese Society, who organised the university-wide event.