Union Rebuild is on schedule

The £11 million rebuild project is still in progress, with two main opening stages in plan.

Phase One, due in the summer term of 2009, which includes the new four roomed triple height venue and the new Pub, and Phase Two, to be completed before the start of the 2009-2010 academic year, which includes the new Terrace Bar, Piazza Café, Atrium and Deli.

The process has been going according to plan, Mike Pidgeon, Communications Officer for the Union.

He told the Boar: “With such a complicated build project we are extremely proud that we are still on schedule. With a project such as this, all it takes is (for example) one supplier to go bust or a week of snow and we get delayed – often these circumstances are completely out of our hands. Thankfully this hasn’t happened so far!”

On Saturday, the 31st of January, the last event to take place in the TES will be the One World Party.

Then early on in term three, the Phase One facilities will open and the Phase Two works will begin.

With the arrival of Freshers 2009, students will witness the grand opening of the new Union in the autumn term.

The union events will not suffer due to the rebuild this term. During the weeks when the TES will not be available (including week 3 when it will be used for Winter Graduation) Top Banana will be split between the Graduate@Cholo and Tempo. Score will still be held, with some circles taking place in Tempo and some in the Graduate, and with the actual Score event itself in Tempo.