Richard Lambert becomes fifth Warwick Chancellor

Richard Lambert, Director-General of the Confederation of British Industry, was formally installed as the fifth Chancellor of the University of Warwick during a ceremony in the Warwick Arts Centre theatre on Wednesday 10 December 2008.

The Chancellor is the formal Head of the University, whose official duties involve conferring degrees on behalf of the institution.

Richard Lambert will play a key role in Warwick’s life, by promoting the work and ambitions of the University both in the UK and overseas, as well as contributing significantly toward its development and its fundraising activities.

Richard Lambert attended Fettes College, Edinburgh from the age of thirteen, and then went on to read Modern History at Balliol College, Oxford.

In 1966, he joined the Financial Times, becoming Financial Editor in 1979. In 1983 he was chosen to be Deputy Editor and then, in 1991, Editor of the newspaper.
During his ten years in this role, the Financial Times’ circulation almost doubled, and a US version of the paper was launched.

In 2003, Richard Lambert became a member of the Bank of England’s Monetary Policy Committee, a position which he held until 2006.

December 2003 saw the publication of the Lambert Review of Business-University Collaboration, in which Richard Lambert argued that an increased cooperation between businesses and university research departments would bring significant economic benefits to the UK.

The review praised the University of Warwick for its close and effective work with business and industry

The University of Warwick awarded Richard Lambert an Honorary Degree in 2004, and most recently, in July 2006, he was appointed Chairman of the CBI.

He has brought to this position a focus on climate change, financial services, education and skills, and science and technology.