£10,000 donation from graduate

A 10,000 pound donation was recently made to Warwick’s lately opened Indoor Tennis Centre in Westwood by retired Warwick graduate Stephen Riley.

Stephen Riley studied Economics at the university and graduated in 1969, one of the early graduates. He has recently retired as the President of the Latin American branch of the well-known US producers of Bicarbonate of Soda – Church & Dwight.

Stephen’s brother David is also a Warwick graduate; he completed a French studies degree in 1979. David’s son Jonathan, Stephen’s nephew, is currently an engineering undergraduate.

Stephen recently travelled back to the UK to attend the official opening of the University of Warwick Indoor Tennis Centre and visit the new physiotherapy suites with David and Jonathan.

“Athletics was the rock which kept me steady during my undergraduate years and tennis is close to my heart.” Riley explained, “My 13-year-old son lives and breathes tennis.”

“Of course, the Economics course and general education has been the source of the economic success which has allowed me to make the donation.”

The Westwood Indoor Tennis Centre was opened on the 12 November 2008 and has four indoor courts. The centre also hails as the first of its kind in Coventry and Warwickshire offering public services on a non-membership basis. It was the first leisure centre in the UK to achieve a BREEAM (Building Research Establishment Environmental Assessment Method) award.