Countdown for historic elections at the Union

Warwick’s fascination with Barack Obama reached fever pitch on November 4th as the Democrat became the first African American to win the presidency of the USA. The huge “Obama camp” in front of the Graduate erupted when Washington turned blue on the screens, sealing Obama’s triumph. Soon, chants of the Illinois senator’s name echoed throughout the Union premises. All were on their feet, straining to catch a glimpse of the screens or simply unable to contain their excitement.

Charlie Bouvier, a first-year undergraduate reading Accounting and Finance, said the election sent “a potent message” to minority groups in America, showing them it is possible to “start from scratch to become the president of the USA”.

Organised by the Politics, Labour and Conservative Societies, together with Radio Warwick (RAW), the event took over most of the pub areas in Union South, and saw the two rival groups share the premises. Warwick Labour expressed its support for Barack Obama through white T-shirts with an Obama logo sprayed on them, a big Obama banner and a large number of participants. The Tories did their best, managing a few posters of John McCain, Obama’s Republican opponent.

The event, which began at 10pm, filled to capacity within an hour, and the union stewards had to implement a one-in one-out system for the event.

There was little pretence of neutrality among students, as the “Obama camp” soon became indistinguishable from the rest of the Union South’s upper floor. A thirst for “change” was a common reason for backing Obama, who was sworn in to the US Senate only in 2005. Many said they were drawn to his thoughtful approach to foreign policy.

“He didn’t do a song and dance about how he was to bomb Iran,” said Harry, another first-year. The Democrat would be “a step on the positive side”, he said.

After, as Obama said, “thousands of miles have been travelled [and] millions of voices heard,” 5 November marked the end of an eventful campaign.