Boar investigates: Is there racism at Warwick?

Following an alleged racist incident at a Welsh university, where an Asian woman supposed to have been told her PhD Accounting and Finance was unsuitable for “Oriental people”, the Boar went searching for any trace of similar incidents within the Warwick community.

When asked about what might happen at Warwick, Students’ Union Welfare Officer Steph Jones stressed: “The Students’ Union strives towards upholding a policy of equal opportunities at all times.”

She continued, “Therefore situations of differentiated opportunities based on ethnicity of social background do not arise.”

SU Education Officer Mo Surve echoed a similar sentiment: “Warwick is one of the most international universities in the UK and one where multi-culturalism is hugely promoted.”

Both officers mentioned the International Report that former Students’ Union president Joe Kirby developed and advocated last year – a year-long consultation project with over 1,700 international and home students.

The report’s aim was to collect data into generating suitable recommendations to fulfil Kirby’s legacy of ethnic integration. The findings and conclusions of the report are beginning to be circulated internally, but they will not be released nationwide until next year’s UK Council for International Student Affairs takes place.

It has been suggested that due to the time taken just to process and release the results, that the policies drawn from it will not be implemented quickly, and possibly not until 2010.

However, the SU maintains that new policies and actions to encourage integration, and correspondingly prevent racism, are in the pipeline already.

“We have also made massive progress in setting up a University- wide buddy scheme,” noted Jones, “which is on track to be launched next academic year.” In addition, more cross-over activities between cultural societies and sports clubs, an idea from Kirby’s project, have begun to pop up.

While Kirby’s integration project aims to break down the social barriers between different ethnic groups the big question is instead of experiencing the fruit of a cosmopolitan community, why people from similar backgrounds prefer to stick together.

A lecturer in the Sociology Department helped to explain. “Naturally people from similar backgrounds form their cultural groups to enjoy group conformation,” continuing “this would include using native language and the exercise of traditions.”

“Some white people might even be threatened by such affinity groups since in many circumstances we are unable to reduce boundaries between ethnic groups.”

The lecturer nevertheless sees the current policies of the University in a positive light and used the example of anonymous marking system to show how the University safeguards students from discrimination.

The lecturer also revealed that there had been a racist email harassment campaign targeted against Asian undergraduate women some years ago. The offenders had their IT accounts terminated as a result. Regarding the incident, SU Welfare Officer Steph Jones says she is “unaware of this incident and therefore unable to comment.”

In recent Warwick history there were no significant complaints of racism or discrimination which highlights the international and inclusive nature of the University and the student body. As Surve suggests, an international environment “can impact everyone in a positive light.”