Presidential elections come to Halls

This week will see the beginning of a publicity campaign to get people involved in the new hall societies. The societies have been set up for each hall of residence this year in the hope of encouraging greater affiliation and association with each residency.

Mike Pidgeon, communications officer for the Students’ Union, described the societies as an effort to “add to the student experience.” He added, “At other universities, ties to halls are greater… we want to create that greater sense of community at Warwick.”

Each hall of residence will have its own designated society, within which there will be a President, Secretary, Treasurer, Social Secretary and Sports Secretary.

The societies are intended to provide a greater social backdrop for each hall of residence. For instance, the Rootes barbeque, which has been run in the past by the resident tutors, will now be taken over by the Rootes Society. Inter-hall sports tournaments, social events and trips will all be the responsibility of the relevant society.

Originally, the executive positions in the societies were to be decided at the Big Debate at the end of week two, but a small number of applications for some positions caused the Union to delay the selection process. The publicity drive this week hopes to increase both the number of applications and votes.

Successful applicants for the executive positions will be provided with training from the Students’ Union, and support from residential tutors in their new roles. The primary funding for each society will be raised from the three pound charge necessary to join.

Student reaction has so far beenmixed. Melpo Agapiou, a first year Economics student living in Westwood, expressed the general indifference, saying, “I don’t really think we need them. There could be more interaction, but it’s not essential.”

Matthew Cassells, a second year Politics student who used to live in Rootes, also commented, “It seems unnecessary. We were fine last year without them.”

However, Kamini Malhotra, a fourth year law and sociology student living in Westwood, thought that they were “a good idea in principle”, but had been badly publicised.

While Jon Greensmith, a second year engineering student, expressed disappointment he was no longer living in halls, “They would introduce them the year after I leave”.

Enthusiasm for the societies will determine their success. Especially in the weeks to come, student interest will be paramount to get the societies started.