Controversial mark scheme implemented

The University Senate has decided to implement the new 17-point marking scheme across the university departments, which came into force on 4 July, 2008.

This new system allows for only seventeen marks between 0 and 100 to be given. Each degree classification is divided into high, medium and low; though Firsts are divided into four levels, the best, 96, being an “Excellent First.” There is also zero.

An Upper Second, therefore, can either be high (68), mid (65) or low (62).

The reasoning behind this change is that professors were not using the entire 1 to 100 grade range, with most marks falling between 55 and 75.

One of the main aims is consistency in marking throughout the university and within departments. This is especially important for joint degree students who may have been subject to, for example, stricter marking in one course than the other.

For example, some question what the difference is between a 65 and a 66, on a similar essay.

While clear requirements are given as to which class a piece of work belongs to, it is still up to the individual marker to decide what degree it deserves within that class. There is less room for subjectivity and it will be easier to ensure that marks are fair and unbiased.

Only first year students will be affected by the changes, all others will continue being graded with the full 1 to 100 range. It is being “phased in” this year.

Many students are not fully familiar with the new system. Even students who were at Warwick last year when a pilot scheme was launched did not know what the changes would mean. While it does not affect them, it was during this time that students were given opportunities to give feedback.

There was some scepticism about its benefits, students feared their degree classification would be at risk were the change put into effect.

To address this, the Students’ Union hosted a forum. However, very few students attended or participated.

So the SU turned to the SSLCs to consult with students and address their worries.

Even so, most first years questioned, who the new system does affect, did not fully understand the changes or what they would mean.

One Business School student, who had some idea of the 17 point scheme, didn’t feel that it would really make any significant difference.

Another student worried that it would be harder to get a first as “70 is closer to 68 than 74.” Seventy-four being a low first and sixty-eight a high 2:1.

However, Mohammed Surve, Education Officer, promises this move is advantageous to students. “If you work hard you are going to be rewarded,” he said.

In following with the new scheme, what was before a 72 would become an 81.

The final mark over all modules would also be calculated slightly differently. Previously, for a student taking eight modules to qualify for a First they were able to drop one mark and then needed Firsts in at least four of the modules with 2:1s in the other three. Now it will simply be an average of all the marks.

Some courses, such as maths and some sciences, which already use the full scale and can be marked objectively will not adopt the new system.

Eleven departments ran a trial of the 17 point scheme last year, with both the new and old systems being used in parallel. The final marks of students were not affected though it was found that the marks were very similar. In some cases they were higher on the new scale than the old.

Warwick is not the only university to apply a new way of marking. St. Andrews uses a mark scheme which gives students grades between zero and twenty.