Book sale: second edition

The Students’ Union have announced that this year’s second-hand book sale raised a total of £41,500 – eclipsing the £25,000 raised at last year’s event.

The cold weather and Top B-style queues weren’t enough to put off the thousands of Warwick students who queued outside TES hoping to bag a bargain or two.

Some had even started queuing as early as 9am – that despite the fact that the sale itself didn’t start until midday. One second-year student remarked, “Although the queues were long, some of the books were considerably cheaper than in the bookshop which made it well worth the wait.”

The event, the brainchild of last year’s Education Officer Peter Ptashko, invited students to take along their old books to SU HQ, setting their own prices for them and keeping every single penny of the money raised.

Overall some 6000 books were sold on the day and the SU, keen to praise the hard work of a large number of volunteer helpers, hailed the event as a “massive success”.

Andy Glyde, Governance and Finance Officer, said, “Students have to pay a substantial amount of money for course books. Being able to make £41,500 go back into students’ pockets and allow others to buy their books cheaper was a really rewarding experience for us.

“Just as we managed to top last year’s book sale both in terms of the number of books and sales, we hope that next year the Union will be able to raise even more money for students.”