Westwood Warwick
Image: Wikimedia Commons / Rwendland

Requests for hardship funding rises at English universities

A recent Universities UK survey indicates students across English universities have faced more need for hardship funding during the COVID-19 pandemic, with requests rising in more than 75% of universities.

The Union of Universities has previously commented on the UK government’s £50 million commitment to hardship funding in universities.

In February, Chief Executive Alistair Jarvis mentioned that this was a positive step – yet more acknowledgement was needed of the mental health impacts of COVID-19 for university students.

The government claimed that it had made an extra £85 million pledge for students in the greatest need within the 2020-21 period, with each university creating its own eligibility criteria for this funding to be accessed.

The University of Warwick continues to host its own hardship funding service for those students in a genuine state of financial hardship, with this assessed on an individual case-by-case basis.

Those students most affected by worsening financial conditions were those reliant on part-time work alongside university studies. In 25% of English universities, the number of students seeking this funding had doubled over the last academic year, with lost employment opportunities for students affecting individual finances.

The funding available for those hoping to access education is not designed to cover the cost of living, meaning students are under extreme financial pressure

– Larissa Kennedy

The National Union of Students’ research indicates that around 20% of students were working part-time in January of this year – a decrease from September 2020.

The Union’s president, Larissa Kennedy, stated: “The funding available for those hoping to access education is not designed to cover the cost of living, meaning students are under extreme financial pressure.”

In January, a bipartisan group of MPs urged the government to double hardship funding to £700 million to tackle increasing financial hardship for students across England. This was following the Welsh government’s own approach to increasing this funding to ensure more financial stability for Welsh students.

A spokesperson for Universities UK praised the resilience of students across the UK in managing financial difficulties throughout the pandemic, with universities also positively mentioned due to their increased financial support for university students struggling with hardship.

Universities Minister Michelle Donelan said: “No student should have to worry unduly about their financial situation whilst they are focusing on their studies.

“This government made an additional £85m of funding available to universities for the 2020-21 academic year, which targeted students in the greatest need, like those struggling with additional costs from having to maintain accommodation in more than one location due to the pandemic.

“This was on top of an existing £256m that universities could draw on towards student hardship funds.”