graduation ceremonies
Image: E Gammie / Geograph

Coventry University cancels graduation ceremonies due to global Coronavirus situation

Coventry University has cancelled graduation ceremonies due to the global Coronavirus situation.

The graduation ceremonies, set to take place in Coventry Cathedral during March and April 2020 have been cancelled and certificates will be sent to students by post.

A Coventry University spokesman said: “Coventry University has suspended all graduation ceremonies scheduled to be held in March and April 2020 due to the uncertainty created by the Covid-19 outbreak and its spread in the UK.

“This decision has not been taken lightly – we know how important graduations are to our graduands and their families – but we must prioritise the health and safety of our students, staff and the communities where we are located.

“Current advice around mass gatherings is subject to continual review by the government and Public Health England, and we think it sensible to act now in order to give graduands and their guests as much notice as possible.

They continued: “So as not to disadvantage students due to graduate, the awards will be conferred administratively and certificates posted to home addresses.

“Dates will be organised and circulated in due course for formal celebrations so that those affected do not miss out on the graduation experience.”

The cancellation comes after the number of cases of Covid-19 hit three in the city and cases continue to rise across the UK, with cancellations in place for national events.

University of Buckingham and the University of London announced they were also cancelling graduation ceremonies over Coronavirus fears.

Commenting on whether graduation ceremonies at the University of Warwick would be cancelled, a spokesperson said: “Of course our degree ceremonies are in July so there’s some time to go yet before that would be considered for our events.

“We continue to follow PHE and Government advice in what remains a highly dynamic and evolving situation.”