Ecofest to be held in Leamington Spa in May 2019

A new event called EcoFest is to be held in newly refurbished Pump Room Gardens, Leamington Spa on Sunday 5 May 2019.

Running from 10am to 4pm, it will celebrate everything eco-orientated, offering a range of taster sessions and activities, along with a choice of vegan and vegetarian food.

The event is designed to help individuals and families learn how to make more environmentally friendly and healthy choices whilst exploring their local green spaces and getting more active.

It will include activities to help people decrease their carbon footprint and learn how to take small steps towards a more environmentally friendly future.

Free ‘taster’ sessions will allow people to try something new to support wellbeing and fitness such as Thai Chi or ‘Laughter Yoga’.

Warwick District Council and local environmental charity Action 21 have worked together to organise the event, as part of a National Lottery Heritage Fund and National Lottery Community Fund restoration of the Pump Room Gardens.

Leamington’s village green for the community has undergone work, including the refurbishment of the Victorian Walter McFarlane and Co. bandstand along with landscaping enhancements, and improvements to lighting and paths, new bins, benches and tree planting.

The £1.4m project included almost £1m from the National Lottery Community Fund, the largest community funder in the UK awarding over £9 billion to projects since 2004, and further contributions were made by the Friends of the Pump Room Gardens and Warwick District Council.

It’s an event that’s good for you and good for the planet

– Andrew Thompson

Asked by The Boar about the event, Action 21 commented: “EcoFest is a huge step forward from last year’s Eco Fun Day and will help further Action 21’s aim of reducing the environmental impact of our local community and raising awareness of the importance of sustainability.

They said the event “is a showcase for anyone wishing to find out how easy it is to live a healthy, sustainable, plastic-free life” and “the opportunity to display and demonstrate sustainable, eco-friendly products and services”.

Councillor Andrew Thompson, Portfolio Holder for Health & Community Protection, said: “EcoFest is a fantastic event for families and those that are looking to take the first steps towards an eco-friendly future.

“It’s an event that’s good for you and good for the planet, so come along and take part in the diverse range of activities, enjoy some tasty vegetarian and vegan food, and see how we can all use less plastic, travel more sustainably and decrease our carbon footprint, while also getting fit and active in our district’s parks.”

Warwick Global Sustainable Development Society told The Boar: “EcoFest is a great event that will teach you how to live in a more sustainable manner. It only takes a few adjustments to our lifestyles to make a relevant difference.”

Warwick University Climate Reality Campus Corps commented: “As individuals passionate about the ecological cause, we are excited by this initiative.

“It is a good opportunity to open a discussion with people who might not know about the basics of sustainability, and teach about eco-friendly behaviours.”