Image: University of Warwick Badminton Club

Warwick Women’s Badminton team smashes Coventry

As the Warwick University Women’s Badminton 1st team walked into Desso Hall early on Saturday morning, all players exuded an aura of calm. The same cannot be said of the supporters from Coventry Uni who had fashioned loud clapping implements from empty shuttlecock containers.

Unbeknownst to all in attendance, the noise from these clapping implements would continue for the next two and a half hours. It was a welcome sight seeing the first two singles players, Charlotte Ho and Jasmine Wong, walk onto their respective courts to begin the mornings play.

After the first singles matches, had been played, it was soon on to the doubles

The first two singles matches were over in a flash, with Charlotte beating her opponent convincingly (21-7, 21-9) and Jasmine finishing just a while after with a convincing (18-21, 21-9, 21-10) win. After the first singles matches, had been played, it was soon on to the doubles. On court no.1, there was the calm and collected Sam Lawler and Jie-Ru Lin and court no.2 the composed Rachel Wen and Women’s 1st team captain Kush Rajasegar. Unfortunately, Sam and Jie-Ru suffered the only loss for the team on the day, going down (18-21, 19-21) in a tightly fought match. Kush and Rachel, on the other hand, weren’t going to let Coventry get too happy as they secured their own (21-2, 21-5) victory with ease.

Back on to another round of singles, and both Jasmine and Charlotte came away with another round of emphatic wins, with the scores being (20-22, 21-12, 21-9) and (21-11, 21-) respectively. The last two matches of the day were another round of doubles, and revenge was sweet for Sam and Jie-Ru as they came away with a (21-2, 21-8) victory, as did Kush and Sam (21-14, 21-17).The day ended with an astounding 7-1 win for the Warwick University Women’s Badminton 1st team, a result that was sure to silence those Coventry fans.