Cricket
Image: Wikimedia Commons / Steve Hodgson

Varsity: Cricket hit Coventry for six

Warwick’s cricket team banished any lingering memories of embarrassment for their 2017 thrashing with a highly impressive 47 run victory in Desso Hall.

After winning the toss and electing to bat, Warwick captain Mihir Chandraker set the tone for the afternoon with a composed attacking start to proceedings, ably supported by his big-hitting opening partner Louie Millman. Both retired on 25 not out. Despite a breakdown in communication that saw a run-out, Joe Randall helped the team push on from the openers’ platform to an excellent 120-2.

Chandraker opened the bowling as well, and took an acrobatic caught-and-bowled in the first over. Quick glove work from Millman brought a stumping in the second (a wicket-maiden from Ryan Chase) and meant the pressure was piled on Coventry from the very start of their first innings. Indeed, the away team were 14-2 after four (almost half) of their overs, chasing 120. A respectable recovery saw the visitors reach 83, against consistently brilliant fielding from Warwick’s men.

The pressure started to show in the second innings, as one of Coventry’s bowlers completely lost their head and bowled a couple of beamers. That and our batsman’s calm but ruthless response with the bat spoke volumes about the direction of the game. Millman retired again on 25, as did the appropriately named Ollie Warwick, and Coventry were set a colossal 158 to win.

Our batsman’s calm but ruthless response with the bat spoke volumes about the direction of the game

Three wickets were lost in quick succession at the start of the final innings, making an already unlikely feat impossible – one of them another superb catch from Chandraker. Tempers flared again after one of Coventry’s batsmen thought they’d hit a six, only to be dismissed for hitting wicket. A last-wicked stand meant the result wasn’t quite as one-sided as it might have been, but a run out ensured the home side won by a still sizeable 47 runs.

Afterwards, captain Chandraker said it was a “great performance from the whole side”, where “everyone chipped in with important contributions.” He went on to state: “having lost to them in our BUCS indoor competition, it was doubly important for us to triumph in this year’s Varsity clash and I’m proud of the side for putting on a great show.”