Image: The Boar / Sarah Morland

Severe weather policy in place at Warwick as more snow expected

The severe weather policy will be in place for a second day on Friday 2 March, with conditions set to worsen in Coventry and Leamington Spa, both of which have been given amber warnings of snow by BBC Weather.

This policy advises the University’s staff and students to: “Check local weather and travel advice before travelling onto campus on Friday, Saturday and Sunday – ensuring they feel safe to travel and making alternative arrangements as appropriate and necessary.”

Such weather is expected to result in the cancellation of some lectures and seminars. The Centre for Applied Linguistics has already informed its students that their teaching hours will not go ahead tomorrow and the School of Modern Languages and Cultures has announced the cancellation of a second-year summative exam that was scheduled to take place.

The History Department has also cancelled all teaching for the day, and is advising students not to travel to campus.

Check local weather and travel advice before travelling onto campus on Friday, Saturday and Sunday

Warwick Sport has also announced that their opening hours will be reduced. The opening hours are usually 7am to 10pm but they have stated on social media that they will only be open from 10am to 6pm tomorrow due to the weather.

The University’s Director of Press and Media Relations Peter Dunn told The Boar: “Unless things radically change tomorrow anyone from South Warwickshire is going to face great difficulty travelling and people based in and around Coventry, though better with more gritted roads, won’t find it that much easier either.”

He added: “I think it would be safe to assume that there will be a significant reduction in teaching activity but as ever key staff will keep as many services running as possible weather permitting.”

This evening Stagecoach stopped Leamington services at 8pm due to the weather conditions, leaving some students stranded. However, campus security arranged for taxis to take these students home.

Students are advised to check Stagecoach’s Twitter account for updates on transport from Leamington Spa to campus and can also check the latest updates on Warwick’s Insite news page, which can be found here .