image: Matthias Ripp / Flickr

Home is where the uni is

Reece Goodall tells us what it’s really like to live at home through uni…

Winter is coming, and it’s time to begin searching for a house, panicking as you wonder who you’re going to end up with and where you’ll wind up: Leamington, Coventry or – God forbid – Kenilworth. But for me, it was a different story entirely; I always knew that I was going home.

Warwick is my local university – I come from Nuneaton, a town above Coventry that is about as far from the city as Leamington. It takes about half an hour to drive in, and just shy of two hours on the bus. My house is, rather conveniently, next to both the bus and the train station, so transport-wise, I’m fairly set.

I did briefly consider finding a house, but I just couldn’t justify it. What would be the point of moving into a new house, having to pay rent, buy food and have my life dictated by the ever-temperamental buses when I could remain at home, my sole expenditure being the running of my car? Having repeated my first year, I was well aware what the bus situation in Leamington was like, and I was not eager to join it.

There are disadvantages, of course. Not being with people does get a bit lonely, and I do feel cut off from others at home – you hear people living together have some great experiences. Driving to campus is also a bit of pain (to put it mildly) and, as campus parking is minimal, I have to come in really early to ensure that I can get a space. Sure, it’s done wonders for my work ethic, but during some really long days, I have to question whether or not it is worth it.

The thing is, in my heart of hearts, I know that if I had to live with other people I would go mad. I found being with others on-campus to be a struggle, and I couldn’t think of anyone I wouldn’t have an unpleasant time with in a house – at least with my family, I’ve carved a niche. I also get to spend time with my family at home; I’ve seen my granddad more this term than I did on-campus the whole of last year. Being at home also means I can carry on working, seeing my friends, going to the casino and so on – and I don’t have to suffer a new place to do so.

This is, of course, an option available to few people, and I’m lucky to have such a prestigious university on my doorstep. I have certainly been glad to avoid the hassle of finding a house (and, I’m told, the accompanying dodgy landlord), and the money I’ve saved has been considerable. Add to that the feeling of sleeping in my own bed at the end of the day and – no matter the disadvantages – I’m happy to be living at home.