Photo : PATH Global Health / Flickr

New meningitis vaccine offered to incoming freshers

A new meningitis vaccination will be available to all students aged 19-25 that are starting university this year, as well as anyone aged between 17 and 18.

New students have been targeted because of large numbers of new people they meet during their first year, which increases the likelihood of the bacteria spreading.

GP services have been instructed to invite all young people who meet the criteria to go for vaccinations. The vaccine is to be provided free of charge, and only a single jab is required.

The vaccination programme has been set out to reduce the numbers of cases of a highly aggressive form of meningococcal disease, caused by W meningococcal bacteria (MenW).

This vaccination, as well as providing protection from both meningitis and Septicaemia, prevents the MenW bacteria from being carried and passed on to others.

Students are also being told to be aware of the symptoms of meningitis and septicaemia, since it is a rapidly progressing disease.

Students are told to seek urgent medical attention if they are concerned that they are developing symptoms.

The primary symptoms include headache, stiff neck, sensitivity to light, drowsiness, and muscle and leg pain. These symptoms often appear earlier than the rash caused by septicaemia.

In order to promote and increase the awareness of this programme, TV presenter Stacey Dooley interviewed Amy Davis, a survivor of meningococcal disease. At 18 Amy contracted meningitis and septicaemia, and was given a 10% chance of surviving. Now aged 23 in this interview, she revealed what she went through.

Amy described her experiences as life changing, and said: “I was a normal 18 year old, but the moment I contracted the disease my life was turned upside down. It is a terrible disease that has impacted my whole life.”

Cases of MenW have shot up since 2008, and have recently been doubling yearly. In 2014 there were 117 diagnosed cases, compared with just 16 in 2008.

A review of the outbreak, undertaken by the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) suggested that this trend was likely to continue unless action is taken.

Chris Head, chief executive of Meningitis Research Foundation, warned that the rise is particularly worrying due to this strain causing more sever illnesses and fatalities.

Mr Head said: “The Meningitis Research Foundation is delighted that the government has moved so quickly to halt the rise of MenW ST-11 with this MenACWY vaccination programme … We urge all who are eligible to make sure they get MenACWY vaccine.”

Dr Mary Ramsay, head of immunisation at Public Health England, advised: “If you’re planning to go to university or college, you should be vaccinated before the start of the academic term or before leaving home for university or college (ideally 2 weeks in advance). Please make an appointment with your GP as soon as possible when the vaccine is offered.”

To watch the interview with Amy Davis, click here.