The Humanities buildings where the Literature department sits; Photo: Warwick Media Library

Professor Docherty to be unsuspended by the University

Arrangements have been made for literature Professor Docherty’s suspension to be lifted and he will be returning to work at Warwick University in due course.

Thomas Docherty is a nationally recognised critic of higher education leadership and policy. He was suspended this year in March 2014 for undermining the authority of the head of the Literature department according to a Times Higher Education report.

The disciplinary proceedings against him are continuing and when the tribunal has made its decision a further statement will be made.

Warwick students and followers of Protect the Public University (PPU) Warwick have been expressing their support for Professor Docherty’s suspension to end via facebook and their blog.

Peter Dunn, head of communications at Warwick confirmed the end of his suspension: “Arrangements have been agreed which mean that Professor Docherty is expected to return to work very shortly. The University is not willing or able to comment further on the matter.”

Dennis Leech, president of the Warwick branch of the University and College Union (UCU), stated: “This is excellent news. We welcome the lifting of the suspension and that he will be able to return to teaching. There was never any objective justification for it and it has gone on for far too long.

“We hope that the internal disciplinary tribunal will now find that there is no case to answer and will throw out all the charges.”

Mr. Leech expressed his concern that this was not an unique case and might not indicate a change in policy, “We are extremely worried that to our knowledge there is at least one other member of the professorial staff currently suspended while investigations are made into allegations that would not warrant suspension under what is normally considered good employment practice.

“Our view is that will harm the university in the long run. A good university is a community of scholars engaged in open and free scholarship without too much intrusion by management which becomes oppressive. Warwick’s earlier success was based on our ability to combine this overarching principle with commercial enterprise. The university will not thrive if we forget that.”