The pill is currently a popular contraceptive choice for women. Photo: flickr/kiyo_tatsu

The politics of the male pill

For many students, the issue of contraception is a big part of everyday life. There are multiple options available, with many free contraceptives being offered by health centers throughout the UK, and of course at university events such as the GUM clinic. However, there’s a feeling that the majority of options apply to women, with condoms as one of the only options for men. In the past few years, there has been a consumer demand for a male alternative to the contraceptive pill.

Years of research into the male pill have led to the very real possibility that it could enter the healthcare market. It works similarly to the pill as we know it, using hormone regulation to reduce a man’s fertility. The most promising prototypes involve temporarily disrupting the maturation process of sperm. Since testosterone provides the signal that sperm production is complete, giving a man extra testosterone can serve the same purpose.

However, current research shows that there are many side effects to the male pill. Due to hormone regulation, the pill will impede the man’s ability to maintain muscle mass and it could also stunt hair growth. The possibility of weight gain, acne and prostate gland growth also exist as well. These issues will need to be solved before the pill is released, as not only could it lead to health issues, but the availability and relative lack of problems with the current contraceptive pill could make it an unpopular choice with men.

Aside from the medical issues, would a male contraceptive pill really be successful? Just like the existing pill, men would have to take this at the same time every day to ensure reliability. Though these problems already exist with the female contraceptive, the widespread use of condoms generally combats this. Would people continue to use condoms if this contraceptive was made available? This question leads to the theory that a decline in condom useage could cause an increase in sexually transmitted diseases (STDs). Hormonal pills offer no protection against STDs, and so cannot replicate the function of condoms.

There’s much controversy around male hormonal contraception. Several female students were surveyed, and those in secure relationships seemed positive about the idea of giving some fertility control to men. Those who were single, however, weren’t as enthusiastic, citing issues of trust as their main problem with the idea of the contraceptive.

The men asked gave varied responses. Some felt that the health issues associated with the male pill would put them off, and the idea of having to take it every day didn’t appeal to them. On the other hand, some were keen on the idea of being able to take that responsibility.

Pharmaceutical companies are currently unsure of the interest in the pill and are therefore wary to enter into any contracts to make it. This is also preventing scientists from getting the funding that they need to carry out research into the drug. It appears that the pill will always cause controversy, for both males and females. If the pill is made available to the public, what changes will we see to the use of traditional contraceptive methods?