Image: Frida Protheroe

What to expect from the Women’s Super League

The Barclays Women’s Super League (WSL) is returning on Friday the September 20 for its 14th season.

This season will be different to the rest, as over the break the WSL has announced its ‘new era’ in which there has been a transfer of ownership of the top two leagues in England. A new independent company, the Women’s Professional League Limited (WPLL) has taken over responsibility for the Barclays WSL and Barclays Women’s Championship from The Football Association. This is in a move to increase the professionalism of the women’s game, independent of the men’s game.

This season is also set to see clubs bringing in big crowds. Attendance records last season were at a high and so far, Tottenham hotspur, Chelsea, Manchester City, Manchester United and Liverpool have all scheduled 3 of their WSL home matches in their respective ‘men’s’ stadiums to allow for higher attendances. Meanwhile, Arsenal have announced that 8 of their WSL matches to be played at the Emirates. Additionally, Aston Villa will play all their WSL home matches in Villa Park, under their new initiative to make villa park the women’s side home too, and Leicester City have announced that 11 of their WSL matches will be played at the King Power Stadium which has been the Women’s primary home since 2021.

The end of the 23/24 season saw the promotion of Crystal Palace F.C Women, placing them back in the WSL

The opening weekend is set to be exciting across the board. One game to watch is Arsenal being confronted by the travelling Manchester City. City will be bringing with them arguably their biggest signing of the summer Vivianne Miedema, who is the top goal scorer in the WSL and previously a long-term Arsenal goal scorer.

The end of the 23/24 season saw the promotion of Crystal Palace F.C Women, placing them back in the WSL. The club has made steps internally to aid their transition to the WSL; they have announced a new pitch at the VBS community stadium with a dedicated away end, where they will host their home matches, to support competing at an elite level. Furthermore, they have released season tickets to create more dedicated fan support. The team has made six signings over the summer and will be exciting to watch when they play Tottenham Hotspur on the opening weekend.

Liverpool FC women impressed in the 23/24 season, finishing in 4th position on the WSL table. This meant moving up three places from 7th at the end of the 22/23 season and finishing above Manchester United who have consistently battled in the top 4 since joining the league. Summer signings for Liverpool have consisted of Gemma Evans from Manchester united, Swedish forward Cornelia Kapocs and Canadian international midfielder Olivia Smith, however the transfer window also saw the loss of a long serving player to the club, Missy Bo Kearns. To draw the gap closed between 4th and the top three on the table, consistency in wins and a much higher goal tally must be achieved, however clearly the club is blustering its attack.

With new summer signings, moves into bigger stadiums, and a new owner of the league, the 24/25 season is set to be an exciting one in the WSL

Manchester United must now battle back into the top of the table. The club has seen many losses this transfer window, they have said goodbye to their Captain Katie Zelem, regular starter Lucia Garcia and BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2023, Mary Earps. Maya Le Tissier will now take the captaincy, and the club have signed PFA Young Player of the Year 2024, Grace Clinton.

The reigning WSL champions of 5 years, Chelsea, are starting this season with a new manager, Sonia Bompastor. This change for Chelsea is huge as their prior manager, Emma Hayes, had strongly led the team for 12 years. The Blues have signed Lucy Bronze and Julia Bartelfrom Barcelona, and Oriane Jean-Francois and Sandy Baltimore from PSG Feminines. Although, they will start their season without their star goal scorer Sam Kerr who is still ruled out with an ACL injury.

With new summer signings, moves into bigger stadiums, and a new owner of the league, the 24/25 season is set to be an exciting one in the WSL.