Image: Flickr

What to expect from the Premier League

The Premier League is set to provide many exciting matches in the 24/25 season.

Arsenal and Manchester City are two teams to look out for this season as fans expect them to be racing for the title. With Arteta never finishing above the City side and Guardiola entering what seems to be his final season for the Citizens, this really does feel like the last dance for Arteta to surmount his final hurdle and beat the man who taught him so much.

Both Arsenal and Manchester City have had relatively quiet transfer windows choosing to dip in, bolstering key areas rather than necessarily making a marquee signing. Salviniho looks like an exciting talent who gives Manchester City a more direct outlook on the right wing compared to the tricky Foden and the return of Gundogan on a free from Barcelona strengthens an already packed City midfield. For Arsenal they have brought in Bologna defender Califiori and Real Sociedad midfield Mikel Merino who both should strengthen the left-hand side of defence and attack, an area of weakness last year for the Gunners.

The difference maker in this year’s title race may be Jurrien Timber. Timber, who spent the entirety of last season on the sidelines with a torn ACL, seems to be Arsenal’s long-awaited answer for inverted full back, both strong defensively in a one v one and assured at receiving and playing the ball on the inside. He may just be able to take Arsenal to their first title in 21 years.

Ipswich’s signing of Sam Szmodics from Blackburn for £9 million could prove to be the key part in the Tractor Boys’ effort to keep their place in the Premier League

There are several debutant managers plying their trade in the Premier League for their first time, each of whom has a unique challenge ahead. Arne Slot must attempt to rekindle that very special relationship that Klopp had with the fans, a hallmark of any successful Liverpool manager. Maresca’s large Chelsea squad means that it is rife with conflicting egos and unhappy fringe players, his brutal cutdown of the squad is a risky ploy and if they do not manage to sell, they could have more negative influences in the dressing room than positive ones. The most interesting manager to watch will be Brighton’s Fabian Hurzeler, who at 31 is the youngest permanent manager in Premier League history.

Leicester, Ipswich and Southampton have been promoted to the Premier League and make up the bottom three of squad market values emphasising the largening financial gap between the clubs in the top two leagues.

Ipswich’s signing of Sam Szmodics from Blackburn for £9 million could prove to be the key part in the Tractor Boys’ effort to keep their place in the Premier League. He scored 27 goals in 44 games last season finishing as the Championships top goal scorer and if he can replicate his form it may just be enough.

All that’s left to say is let the 38-game season, full of shock upsets, last minute winners, a few points deductions, and pure adrenaline riding football begin

Leicester has a plethora of attacking talent from the veteran Vardy to the exciting Fatawu but their defence still remains an area of concern for Steve Cooper. Leicester’s back line could be the bane of an otherwise exciting attacking side and with a points deduction looming they’re a squad that is expected to face demotion.

As with Leicester Russel Martin will be looking to create strong defensive foundations to keep the saints up. It is rare that a top-quality keeper is available on the market and it’s even rarer that a newly promoted team are able to sign him but Southampton’s signing of Ramsdale is one such occasion. Ramsdale’s save percentage is around 15% higher than that of Bazunu and in games of tight margins that could be the difference in losses of precious points.

All that’s left to say is let the 38-game season, full of shock upsets, last minute winners, a few points deductions, and pure adrenaline riding football begin.