Image: Wikimedia Commons / Sarvajanik Puralekh

“Visionary leader and cherished friend”: Ratan Tata remembered after death at 86

The death of Indian industrialist and philanthropist Ratan Tata, aged 86, was announced on 9 October.

Tata passed away in a private hospital in Mumbai from unspecified causes.

A statement posted by the Tata Group, on social media site X, said: “It is with deep sorrow that we announce the peaceful passing of our beloved Ratan. […] His legacy of humility, generosity, and purpose will continue to inspire future generations.”

Together with our own Lord Bhattacharyya, Mr Tata was instrumental in establishing the National Automotive Innovation Centre, a beacon of research and development that has left an indelible mark on the automotive industry.

Stuart Croft, Vice Chancellor of the University of Warwick

University of Warwick’s Vice Chancellor Stuart Croft remembered Tata as “a visionary leader and cherished friend”. In his statement, he added: “Together with our own Lord Bhattacharyya, Mr Tata was instrumental in establishing the National Automotive Innovation Centre, a beacon of research and development that has left an indelible mark on the automotive industry.

“He was inspirational in the development of WMG, and so many colleagues will remember him very warmly.

“I will always recall Mr Tata as a man of deep faith, humility, and exceptional care for humanity.

“On behalf of The University of Warwick, I extend my heartfelt condolences to his family, friends, and the entire Tata community.”

Born in Mumbai and educated at Cornell University, Tata led the Tata Group for 21 years and oversaw immense revenue and net profit growth.

He led the acquisition of Tetley, Jaguar Land Rover (JLR), and steelmaking company Corus, repositioning the Tata Group on the international stage. Tata was described as  “the king of India’s corporate scene” in 2015.

As Chairman of Tata Trusts, Tata oversaw and funded a legacy of philanthropic initiatives: the Tata Scholarship Fund that aided Indian undergraduates at Cornell University, the construction of an executive centre at Harvard Business School, Tata Hall,  and the Indian Institute of Science’s Centre for Neuroscience study of Alzheimer’s.

In a statement following his death, Tata Trusts called him “a legend of our times” who “will always live in our hearts & minds”, adding: “We rededicate ourselves to carrying forward his legacy […] which is rooted in India’s civilisational values and strives for the welfare of all.”

Tata was honoured with the Padma Vibushan award in 2008, India’s second-highest civilian honour.

In 2015, he was made Freeman of the City of Coventry, recognising that his acquisition of JLR helped stabilise manufacturing jobs in the region.

Councillor George Duggins claimed “his contribution to Coventry’s confident regeneration can not be underestimated.”