The power of re-reading: why revisiting your favourite books this autumn could be the best thing you do

As soon as autumn hits, as a book lover I immediately feel like rereading all of my favourite books, cosying down under a blanket with a hot chocolate and revelling in the written word. There’s a sense of comfort and nostalgia nestled between the pages of a well-loved book, and often you can find something new the older you get.

There’s a sense of comfort and nostalgia nestled between the pages of a well loved book and often you can find something new the older you get

The age old classic for reading in autumn is of course Harry Potter and as we only actually have 12 weekends left until Christmas, it’s the perfect time to start a reread. These books hold a certain sentimentalism for so many and are offering all the nostalgic autumn vibes when you go for a reread.

As I’ve got older, I love to reread fantasy books in the autumn and often find myself revisiting the first ever fantasy novel I read – Sorcery Of Thorns by Margaret Rogerson. There’s something so distinctly autumnal about fantasy novels and the sense of wonder they bring, often situating around mythical creatures, colder months, and magic, which is probably why I so often revisit them.

But why, I find myself wondering, do we reread novels so often as opposed to reading something new? With so much great literature out there, I find myself wondering why.

Personally, I often feel myself needing a sense of comfort and security in the cold, dark months of autumn and winter and so starting something new feels too dauntin

Personally, I often feel myself needing a sense of comfort and security in the cold, dark months of autumn and winter, and so starting something new feels too daunting. This is probably a shared feeling for many, which is why we so often retreat into the comforting worlds of books we’ve already read. With university starting back again people often find themselves with less time to read for pleasure, with more assignments and course readings to do. This is why a familiar book feels so comforting and we welcome that sense of safety and nostalgia in our reading.

According to For the Love of Stories, we reread books in the autumn as a welcome reminder and nod to the past. They state that “autumn is a reminder of the wonderful things of the past. Wonderful things that are happening again. Rereading enhances that feeling in another way. It’s a chance to relive the stories I love while savouring the pleasures of the season.” I think this is certainly true. Autumn is definitely a slower season, with the plants and natural world hibernating, it encourages us to do the same. We more frequently stay inside, watch films and TV shows, or as I prefer to spend these colder months, read.

From a psychological standpoint, there are multiple benefits to our mental health for revisiting and rereading old books. Whilst embarking on a new book feels like a great ordeal, starting something familiar again feels more comforting and safe.

When you feel mentally exhausted, watching that comfort show can re-energize you and restore those feelings of self-control

According to Health Watch Essex, “When you feel mentally exhausted, watching that comfort show can re-energize you and restore those feelings of self-control” and therefore “watching the same show is simply less effort for our brains.” The same thing goes for books, we seek quick and easy pleasures and therefore rereading is simply less effort and gives us that much needed energy boost and joy in the more lethargic months. It can also be a way to feel in control and by knowing the ending and the plot of the book. It leaves no room for surprise or doubt, lending us by proxy a sense of comfort, control, and gratification.

Alongside fantasy, many people choose to read from opposite ends of the spectrum during autumn. I have many friends who choose to revisit detective or crime novels in autumn, as the dark, cold months invite a sense of eeriness. The same goes for horror or gothic, encouraging Halloween reads. However others choose to read romance and loose themselves in the warm comfort of a Christmas or autumn love story.

Overall, rereading can be a great practice to encourage comfort in autumn and as we wend our way into the slower, cosy months. Why not revisit your favourite autumn read?