Image: Wikimedia Commons

The pop icons’ legal showdown

In the world of music, the names Michael Jackson and Prince shine bright as icons of their time, leaving a lasting legacy that continues to captivate audiences worldwide. However, behind the scenes, a legal battle unfolded that pitted these legendary artists against corporate power, such as Michael Jackson vs SONY. Sony Music is a distributor company of entertainment and part of a subsidiary of the Sony Group Corporation. Similarly, Warner Bros is a prominent American record label, a subsidiary of Warner Music Group. Founded in 1958 as the recorded music division of the film studio, it has since evolved into a global powerhouse representing a diverse roster of artists, such as Prince.

Sony has great financial backing and extensive resources, such as good budgeting and capital investment in marketing musicians to become well-renowned public figures. In the company’s history, there have been different mergers and acquisitions. Through this, there have been mergers and acquisitions, including the purchase of CBS Records in 1988, which formed Sony Music Entertainment.

However, tensions arose when Sony acquired Jackson’s own music catalogue in the early 1990s

Sony Music is a major force in the music industry, renowned for its substantial financial resources and global reach. The label has a history of investing significantly in artist development, providing platforms for countless musicians to achieve widespread success. While the relationship between artists and record labels is often complex, involving negotiations over contracts, royalties, and creative control, it’s essential to recognise the mutual benefits. Record labels play a pivotal role in funding the creation, production, and marketing of music, shouldering financial risks in the hope of commercial success. This collaborative effort is crucial to the music industry’s ecosystem, enabling artists to reach global audiences and achieve financial stability.

For a long time, the legalities of rights from musicians and distributors became a topic of conversation between royalties and masters. The dispute began with Michael Jackson’s acquisition of The Beatles’ catalogue in 1985, a move that cemented his status as a savvy businessman in addition to his musical genius. However, tensions arose when Sony acquired Jackson’s own music catalogue in the early 1990s, leading to a strained relationship between the ‘King of Pop’ and the music giant. He has leveraged his stature and his influence. He advocated for entrepreneurial and business acumen with artists, making their future and generational wealth. Battling with a powerful conglomerate such as SONY speaks volumes for his power and his influence as an African American. His album’s music was imprinted on SONY, and they distributed his well-renowned music with EPIC Records, such as ‘Bad’, The Dangerous Tour, ‘Thriller’, and ‘Off the Wall’ to name a few. Michael Jackson’s Business Acumen was an innovation. He used to own 50% of SONY, the company including publishing. In 2016 the company paid $750 million for the remaining 50% of ATV/SONY to his estate and $600m for his publishing.

One of his arguments was his creative control. Despite his immense popularity, Jackson often felt constrained by the commercial interests of Sony, such as disagreements over artistic direction and album content.

Prince is among the most well-known artists in his time and even up to the present time. He was a versatile artist, learning instruments such as the electric guitar, piano, bass drums, and vocals. His genre was funk rock, R&B, pop, neo-psychedelia, and progressive soul. These eventually made him a worldwide sensation. To this, he had very impressive accolades: he sold 100 million copies worldwide. He had chart dominance with hits such as ‘When Doves Cry,’ ‘Purple Rain’, and ‘Kiss’. Meanwhile, his album is well-renowned in the 80s and 90s. He was given 7 Grammys and a global award.

Prince’s music and public statements often reflected his views on the music industry and his relationship with Warner Bros

Prince found himself embroiled in his own legal struggles with Warner Bros, famously changing his name to an unpronounceable symbol in protest of the label’s control over his music and artistic expression. ‘The Purple One’s’ also known as a nickname for his famous hit ‘Purple Rain’ battle for creative freedom became a symbol of resistance against the industry’s corporate influence. He spoke profusely about the powers that be and expressed that creative expression can be tempered. Prince’s relationship with Warner was a notoriously tumultuous one. The iconic musician was fiercely independent and protective of his artistic vision, often clashing with the major record label. Prince was instinctive about controlling his destiny when it came to music and publishing rights. He was trailblazing for other artists to speak up on those issues. He was focused on equality, equity, distribution rights, and the right revenue and percentages. Speaking to publishing and his artist vision in an interview with The VIBE.com, he had said, “The way I looked at it, I owned the work because I paid for it. I created it, so I felt like it should belong to me.” Prince furthered, “That said, the record companies felt otherwise. They would always hold this contract up and say, ‘Well, you signed it.'” This quotation shows how the label bound him both by his artistic freedom and his finances. This is a comparison of an argument that separates his desires and needs versus those of Warner Bros.

Prince’s music and public statements often reflected his views on the music industry and his relationship with Warner Bros. In Press interviews, he said “Slavery was bad. But this is worse. This is modern-day slavery.”  This quote, referring to his contract with Warner Bros., highlights his frustration with the music industry’s business model. “I came, I saw, I conquered. Got the hell out.” This statement, made after leaving Warner Bros, encapsulates his determination to regain control of his career.

As these two musical titans stood up to Sony and Warner, their legal battles highlighted the complex dynamics between artists and record labels, showcasing the enduring power struggles within the music industry. Despite the challenges they faced, Michael Jackson and Prince’s unwavering commitment to their art and independence left a lasting impact on the music world.

The enduring influence of Prince and Jackson on the music industry is undeniable

In the end, the legal disputes between these iconic artists serve as a reminder of the delicate balance between creativity and commerce in the ever-evolving landscape of the music industry. Ultimately, the lawsuits are more a sad commentary on the fragile balance that must be struck between art and business in the music business, indeed changing daily. Today, different contracts are floating in the air. Musicians-turned businessmen knew their value. Many signed contracts with Warner Bros, such as David Sebastian; others, such as Central Cee, signed with Columbia Records. The grand moment, central Cee being signed to Columbia Records, was but the confirmation of what UK rap’s emerging talent had produced.

The deal, announced in 2023, solidified his position as a rising star in the UK rap scene and positioned him for global success. The deal is structured as a joint venture between Columbia Records and Sony Music UK, allowing Central Cee to maintain a degree of independence while benefiting from the resources of a major label.

The enduring influence of Prince and Jackson on the music industry is undeniable. Their unwavering advocacy for parity has paved the way for significant advancements in artists’ rights and compensation. By highlighting specific examples of their achievements such as their significant albums and anthems like ‘Thriller’ or ‘Purple Rain’ captivate our hearts and mind. We can see how their trailblazing efforts have empowered a new generation of artists to negotiate better terms and challenge industry conventions. As we look toward the future, artists continue to build upon their legacy by supporting artists’ rights, advocating for fair compensation, and fostering a more equitable music industry.