Photo: Robert Bailey Photography [@warwickartsoc]

The art of networking: societies for incoming creatives

With such a wide breadth of creative societies to choose from, here are a few recommendations for incoming Warwick freshers. Whether you are looking to join a society that allows you to showcase your enthusiasm for the arts, or are just seeking a creative outlet to help you to balance your academic work, here are some suggestions for societies where you can either display creative talent or learn from other artists. All of these societies act as great opportunities for you to express creativity. More importantly, they also provide a fun space to de-stress, socialise, and potentially collaborate with other artistic students. 

Cobalt Magazine

Cobalt Magazine is a society which accepts any, and all creative work for their magazine. Their latest magazine theme was Unveiled Treasures, but there is a new theme each term, when they publish a new edition. With previous themes including Poison Apple, Twisted Nostalgia, In Media Res and Levelling Up, there are always new opportunities to submit your work, regardless of which form this may take.  

They are not just limited to accepting more traditional forms of creative work such as poetry, prose, photography and artwork (physical or digital). They are also open to welcoming manifestos/think-pieces, reviews, recipes, interviews, and other non-visual works.  

Additionally, if you aren’t keen on the idea of submitting work for the magazine, Cobalt Magazine hosts events such as zine workshops, bookmark making, and charity open- mic nights. They also host creative drop-in sessions, which allow you to find out more about publication and various ways that you could get involved with the process. 

Warwick Art Society

Warwick Art Society is not just a society exclusively for artists; beginners are also welcome and encouraged to attend their various events. These include summer sip and paint sessions, life drawing classes, material medley sessions, and even cyanotype workshops! These are great opportunities to escape from academic work, and to either meet new people or to have a fun but relaxing catch-up with friends. 

Art Society hosts study sessions when it is approaching exam season, so it can also just be a comfortable environment where you can be productive. The theme of their ball last year was Enchanted Forest, and this annual event is definitely something to look forward to! 

Warwick Craft Society

Another great society for creatives to de-stress is Warwick Craft society. This is an amazing way to meet new people and socialise on a regular basis. Their various events include activities such as mini canvas painting, origami, henna, bookmark and phone charm making, and even cookie decorating.  

These sessions are completely free for members and all materials are provided. They meet for weekly sessions, so the £5 membership is definitely worthwhile! Craft Society also hosts social events which have included meals at Nando’s, circles, and even trips to Cadbury World.  

Craft Society also collaborates with other societies, providing even more opportunities to meet new people. For example, they have hosted a joint plant pot painting session with GSD (Global Sustainable Development) society and a Mario Kart-themed circle with Darts society. 

The Boar

It obviously also goes without saying that The Boar is a brilliant society for creatives to join! As the official student newspaper of Warwick University (and the biggest media society) there are 16 different sections, so plenty of opportunities to write about whatever topic you are interested in, either online or for the physical print edition of the newspaper. There are also various roles to get involved with, such as editing, sub-editing, joining the business team, and much more. 

The Boar also hosts various social events so that members can get to know each other better, as well as workshops which can help you with editing and writing. They collaborate with other societies and hold different events, such as those hosting external speakers, meaning it is a great society if you are also looking to make connections in creative industries.