Image: The Sunday Times

Students’ Union reveals sanctions given to Warwick Tory society following ‘Nazi anthem’ video

Warwick Students’ Union (SU) has issued a statement to The Boar revealing sanctions placed on the Warwick Conservative Association in response to the ‘Nazi video’ incident.

The statement begins with a “strong condemnation of the abhorrent behaviour that took place at the University of Warwick’s Conservative Association’s Chairman Dinner” and a “commitment to protecting our community at Warwick, especially our Jewish students in this case.”

The sanctions placed on the society stem “over and above the recommendation made by the Independent report into the incident” and will remain in place over the next 3 years.

[The sanctions] involve “Antisemitism awareness training” and “Active Bystander Training” for all members, with “Islamophobia training” and “WSU Inclusion & Belonging training” specifically for the society’s executive members

As outlined in the statement, these involve “Antisemitism awareness training” and “Active Bystander Training” for all members, with “Islamophobia training” and “WSU Inclusion & Belonging training” specifically for the society’s executive members.

The SU confirmed that “the UWCA’s new executive team has made it clear that they will comply with these conditions and have committed to working to prevent any further instances of antisemitic or racist behaviour.”

In response to ongoing concerns surrounding the society’s reinstatement, the SU stated: “We understand that for many of our members, the reinstatement of the UWCA may be of concern. As noted in The Boar’s recent report, the incoming executive committee of the UWCA cooperated fully with both the investigation and resulting recommendations.

“We would encourage any students affected to access one of our avenues of support, such as:

The Students’ Union Advice Centre, which can be contacted through the enquiry form here.

The University’s Wellbeing Support Services here.

The University’s confidential service, Report and Support.”

If the SU […] truly put protecting students above its reputation, the UWCA would be disbanded, not getting away with a couple of Moodle courses

Disband the Warwick Tories spokesperson

Last week, the University revealed its sanctions on three students involved in the incident, imposing a ban on one, while another is to attend a disciplinary hearing.

Disband the Warwick Tories, a campaign group representing over 100 societies and student groups on campus, had previously called for the SU to dissolve the Warwick Conservatives. Responding to the announcement of their sanctions, a spokesperson told The Boar: “The core of any decision made should be to protect students from Jewish and other marginalised backgrounds, not to continue propping up a society with a long and documented history of embedded far right hatred.

“If the SU and [University] truly put protecting students above its reputation, the UWCA would be disbanded, not getting away with a couple of Moodle courses.”

• Enoch Wright

Looks like the fascists trying to shut down their political opponents failed and failed miserably. 😂